Any chance of getting into any UK Medical School?

Watch
Schlarfblrfsch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Long story short, I'm only now truly considering becoming a doctor and planning out which medical schools I have available to me.

Currently I study Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science and Physics, so I don't have most school available right off the bat due to the lack of Biology.

I've had multiple discussions about this and one major thing that I hear is that everyone will have a years worth or two of work experience in facilities such as hospitals and elderly homes. I myself have no such experience at all, though I have the entirety of the Easter Holiday and Summer to acquire some. For the first few weeks of Summer I'm heading off on a CAS trip to Madagascar which'll aid in the team building medical schools are looking for in students.

At this point I'm assuming it's practically impossible for me to be able to compete with any other students, but do you think there's still chance or am i done for?

Edit: Even if there's no chance in the UK I'd like to hear about other places, prefferably in Europe though.
username2560671
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Schlarfblrfsch)
Long story short, I'm only now truly considering becoming a doctor and planning out which medical schools I have available to me.

Currently I study Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science and Physics, so I don't have most school available right off the bat due to the lack of Biology.

I've had multiple discussions about this and one major thing that I hear is that everyone will have a years worth or two of work experience in facilities such as hospitals and elderly homes. I myself have no such experience at all, though I have the entirety of the Easter Holiday and Summer to acquire some. For the first few weeks of Summer I'm heading off on a CAS trip to Madagascar which'll aid in the team building medical schools are looking for in students.

At this point I'm assuming it's practically impossible for me to be able to compete with any other students, but do you think there's still chance or am i done for?
Hi, m not sure about UK medical schools.... but there is one in Latvia, its GMC accredited that means u can go back to the UK for residency programmes.... the name is Riga Stradins University.... this is what the website states

"1. Completed secondary education To apply, you must have completed secondary education (secondary/high-school diploma). This usually grants university entrance qualification, which qualifies you for university study - this basically means that you have acquired a secondary-school certificate that makes you eligible to continue your studies at a university in your home country or abroad. We require that you have studied at least two semesters, and acquired a passing grade in Biology and/or Chemistry, and preferably also Mathematics and/or Physics. Please note that we accept both - exam grades or final semester grades."

As you do chemistry and physics, you can apply!
Hope i helped
username2560671
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Why dont u drop one of computer science or further maths.?... as its just extra workload
Schlarfblrfsch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
Why dont u drop one of computer science or further maths.?... as its just extra workload
I chose my subjects earlier with the sort of intention of perhaps looking into engineering or informatics or related. Honestly I don't mind the 'extra' work there is to it.
username2560671
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I chose my subjects earlier with the sort of intention of perhaps looking into engineering or informatics or related. Honestly I don't mind the 'extra' work there is to it.
Honestly, i am in the same position as u... i study physics, maths and chemistry and now thinking of studying medicine.... how do u do further maths without maths BTW?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Edit: Even if there's no chance in the UK I'd like to hear about other places, prefferably in Europe though.
You're right that work experience and/or voluntary work are super important. You're wrong that this needs to be a years worth - you can catch up. But you need to act now and be both creative and assertive with who you contact. Its vital you use these two periods to the max so you need to get organising right now. Get a long list of numbers now ready to call Monday.

Its also important you learn how they want you to reflect and learn from your experience - this will help you make the most of the perhaps smaller amount you obtain.

Its also important to apply strategically. some schools will care more about slightly sub-par experience than others. And with even more restrictions in terms of no biology, researching is going to be extremely important.

You're about to have enough 'extra' already though - work experience, UKCAT prep, thoroughly researching universities, a very thorough personal statement, BMAT prep, interview prep... the last thing you need is to have other **** on your plate too. If you're actually serious about medicine you should put your pride aside and drop something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads