DreamChaser111
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I am in a fortunate position to have received offers from PwC Gatwick office and BDO London office. The PwC Gatwick offer is for Assurance and I will take the CA from ICAS qualification and not the ACA from ICAEW. The BDO London offer is for Technology Risk Assurance and I will take the ACA and the CISA qualifications.

1. Is the ACA from ICAEW qualification more prestigious than the CA from ICAS? I ask this because I recently looked at a PDF and the majority of the board members of FTSE 100 companies are ACA qualified rather than CA from ICAS. The linkl is below;
https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/sites/def...lumni_1215.pdf

2. In terms of location would being at PwC in the Gatwick office put me at a disadvantage when compared to the BDO offer that is for the London office, as the BDO London may present more opportunities.

3. The fact that PwC is part of the Big 4 and BDO is not, even though the PwC offer is for the Gatwick office, does the PwC offer present more career opportunities and would be better to have on your CV and would give you more scope to move into say the investment banking sector.

If any of you guys could answer the questions above I would be very grateful, thank you in advance.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DreamChaser111)
Hi guys,

I am in a fortunate position to have received offers from PwC Gatwick office and BDO London office. The PwC Gatwick offer is for Assurance and I will take the CA from ICAS qualification and not the ACA from ICAEW. The BDO London offer is for Technology Risk Assurance and I will take the ACA and the CISA qualifications.

1. Is the ACA from ICAEW qualification more prestigious than the CA from ICAS? I ask this because I recently looked at a PDF and the majority of the board members of FTSE 100 companies are ACA qualified rather than CA from ICAS. The linkl is below;

2. In terms of location would being at PwC in the Gatwick office put me at a disadvantage when compared to the BDO offer that is for the London office, as the BDO London may present more opportunities.

3. The fact that PwC is part of the Big 4 and BDO is not, even though the PwC offer is for the Gatwick office, does the PwC offer present more career opportunities and would be better to have on your CV and would give you more scope to move into say the investment banking sector.

If any of you guys could answer the questions above I would be very grateful, thank you in advance.
CA vs ACA no advantage

London vs London satellite moderate advantage

PwC large advantage in terms of future prospects

Assurance will have broader exit oops and you'll be able to learn more about the business depending on clients and local office culture - you'll probably get better exposure than in London office
DreamChaser111
(Original post by natninja)
CA vs ACA no advantage

Assurance will have broader exit oops and you'll be able to learn more about the business depending on clients and local office culture - you'll probably get better exposure than in London office
Thanks for getting back to me so overall you would recommend that I go for the PwC Gatwick offer with the CA qualification, predominantly because it is a Big 4.
And not take up the BDO London offer.
DreamChaser111
CA vs ACA no advantage

I was wondering why is it that the majority of the FTSE 100 board members all have ACA qualifications rather than CA.

Is this due to the skewed perception that recruiters from the FTSE 100 companies have in regards to the ACA when compared to the CA?
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was wondering why is it that the majority of the FTSE 100 board members all have ACA qualifications rather than CA.

Is this due to the skewed perception that recruiters from the FTSE 100 companies have in regards to the ACA when compared to the CA?
ACA is more commonly done in England as CA is a Scottish qualification
monk_keys
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I used to work for BDO London. I would take the PwC offer, purely because TRA is a bit niche. Although it is 'assurance' it is not really audit and doesn't have the same exposure as audit in terms of client interaction.

After 3 years in TRA you will not be equipped to know where you want to go career wise.

Good luck.
DreamChaser111
(Original post by monk_keys)
I used to work for BDO London. I would take the PwC offer, purely because TRA is a bit niche. Although it is 'assurance' it is not really audit and doesn't have the same exposure as audit in terms of client interaction.

After 3 years in TRA you will not be equipped to know where you want to go career wise.

Good luck.
Cool thanks for the reply.

The only reason I was considering BDO London was because I was impressed at the assessment day, the partner Steve said TRA was an exponentially growing business and that there are lots of opportunities to progress. He referred to one of the Managers there that had joined as a graduate and had become manager after only 5 years with the company.

I see your argument that it's quite a niche and it may be more difficult to leave the Technology sector if you don't enjoy it because of your limited experiences.
DreamChaser111
ACA is more commonly done in England as CA is a Scottish qualification
Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to ask why would PwC Gatwick choose to put me through the CA - ICAS qualification rather than the ACA - ICAEW qualification? with Gatwick obviously being in England.
monk_keys
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cool thanks for the reply.

The only reason I was considering BDO London was because I was impressed at the assessment day, the partner Steve said TRA was an exponentially growing business and that there are lots of opportunities to progress. He referred to one of the Managers there that had joined as a graduate and had become manager after only 5 years with the company.

I see your argument that it's quite a niche and it may be more difficult to leave the Technology sector if you don't enjoy it because of your limited experiences.
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong the London office is really nice and working in town is cool. As Steve says IT based audit is something BDO are investing heavily in to rival the offering of Big 4, whether there are lots of opportunities to progress, relative to audit, I would be sceptical of. You can make manager (well at BDO anway) in 5 years if you are good but more to the point, do you want to work for TRA forever (or even 5 years)?

Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to ask why would PwC Gatwick choose to put me through the CA - ICAS qualification rather than the ACA - ICAEW qualification? with Gatwick obviously being in England.
I know you didn't ask me this but thought as I did ICAS I would pipe up anyway. The choice comes down to delivery rather than content, how do the differing college/ exam periods fit in with when that office expects to be busy.
DreamChaser111
(Original post by monk_keys)
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong the London office is really nice and working in town is cool. As Steve says IT based audit is something BDO are investing heavily in to rival the offering of Big 4, whether there are lots of opportunities to progress, relative to audit, I would be sceptical of. You can make manager (well at BDO anway) in 5 years if you are good but more to the point, do you want to work for TRA forever (or even 5 years)?

I know you didn't ask me this but thought as I did ICAS I would pipe up anyway. The choice comes down to delivery rather than content, how do the differing college/ exam periods fit in with when that office expects to be busy.
I see and the answer is I probably don't see my self in TRA for the rest of my career.

In terms of the the qualification, do you think studying for ICAS rather than ICAEW has hindered your career prospects in anyway.

Just out of interest, what are you up to now as a qualified ICAS accountant? Whats your plan for the next 5 years?
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the reply.

Literally just scheduling
DreamChaser111
Literally just scheduling
Thanks for clarifying.

From your experience as a qualified ACA, do you think being in assurance is a rewarding career path?

And what career paths have fellow colleagues and students from your cohort of chartered accountants taken, just interested in realistically how far you can go in this career path.
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for clarifying.

From your experience as a qualified ACA, do you think being in assurance is a rewarding career path?

And what career paths have fellow colleagues and students from your cohort of chartered accountants taken, just interested in realistically how far you can go in this career path.
I'm not actually qualified yet but I'd say it can be

Out of people i know who've left newly qualified, 2 went into corporate finance, 1 into ER, 1 to FD of a music tech company, 1 to group FC of a FTSE 100, 1 became a food critic. People at manager level tend to hate their life - definitely the worst grade to be as all work can be pushed down to you but you can't push all of it down further
sarah_145
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey, did you finally decide on which one?

I've been fortunate to get an offer from PwC and BDO (London office, for both) for the 2019 sept intake and am stuck in between the two as well. I applied for BDO Public Sector Assurance (External & Internal audit) and for PwC, I applied for Assurance (Internal Audit).

I'm quite torn in between both as I think they are both really good companies!
I’m edging towards BDO because I liked the people there and feel I would probably get a more varied range of work. However, I am concerned that I could regret turning down PwC.

Any advice? Hmm.
Hi guys,

He
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads