The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances

Hey, so I submitted an assignment late, due to personal issues e.g. stress and anxiety. I spoke to my tutor and he said a doctors note would suffice (just stating when I spoke to my doctor and regarding what time period). Since I've never needed a doctors note, is it easy to obtain? And I was wondering if you just ask reception or? And do I have to hand in a letter to the reception asking?
You'd need to make an appointment with your doctor to get a doctor's note - it's not something which can just be handed over at reception. However, I think it's highly unlikely that the doctor will be prepared to retrospectively issue you a note - you'd have needed to get one before the assignment deadline, or at least have been under the doctor's care for the condition(s) which you later rely on as extenuating circumstances.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
You'd need to make an appointment with your doctor to get a doctor's note - it's not something which can just be handed over at reception. However, I think it's highly unlikely that the doctor will be prepared to retrospectively issue you a note - you'd have needed to get one before the assignment deadline, or at least have been under the doctor's care for the condition(s) which you later rely on as extenuating circumstances.

Hello, I've had an appointment with him and he did tell me I could get one but had to discuss with reception, but they were not very helpful. But thank you for responding, means a lot!
Original post by Hellox1000
Hello, I've had an appointment with him and he did tell me I could get one but had to discuss with reception, but they were not very helpful. But thank you for responding, means a lot!

Is this Uni, A- level or GCSE?

What is it you want?

How often have you seen the GP?

What is it your tutor wants?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Is this Uni, A- level or GCSE?

What is it you want?

How often have you seen the GP?

What is it your tutor wants?

university, as I am away from home I don't see him, however the issues that I am attempting to claim has been an occurrence for 3 months. All my tutor wants in his words 'This could take the form of a GP note, saying you've discussed anxiety and stress with her/him, and the time period it relates to,'. So basically all he wants is just me proving that I have discussed stress with my GP regarding the time period it relates to December-present.

Also when I asked my doctor he said I could but I had to ask reception for more detail.
Moved to University Life
university, as I am away from home I don't see him, however the issues that I am attempting to claim has been an occurrence for 3 months. All my tutor wants in his words 'This could take the form of a GP note, saying you've discussed anxiety and stress with her/him, and the time period it relates to,'. So basically all he wants is just me proving that I have discussed stress with my GP regarding the time period it relates to December-present.

Also when I asked my doctor he said I could but I had to ask reception for more detail.

So what you need to do is write them a detailed note, the body of which can easily be turned into the letter you want. You could just list the points.

It should identify you, how long youve been a patient for and that the GP has seen you on a number of occasions. for xyz, stress and anxiety etc. The symptoms complained of have been XYZ in ability to sleep, panic, depression etc and you had stated they were making it very difficult to function. the GP had provided [whatever treatment or medication] and he believed the symptoms were still ongoing and might/ you had complained they were affecting your ability to study.

That way the GP knows what you want and can write it quickly. You need to give him all the info, so that you can leave it with reception, the GP has everything he needs and you can pick it up at reception. Obviously the GP can and will only say certain things, but you can indicate the sort of letter you want and is reasonable to ask for.

The GP is likely to want paying £20-30 for the letter. Its standard. That's the bit I think you have to sort out with reception. If its a practice anywhere near the uni then they will write a lot of them. The problem as pointed out by RC is getting a GP to write a retrospective letter when they havent seen you before. That isnt an issue for you.
Reply 7
So what you need to do is write them a detailed note, the body of which can easily be turned into the letter you want. You could just list the points.

It should identify you, how long youve been a patient for and that the GP has seen you on a number of occasions. for xyz, stress and anxiety etc. The symptoms complained of have been XYZ in ability to sleep, panic, depression etc and you had stated they were making it very difficult to function. the GP had provided [whatever treatment or medication] and he believed the symptoms were still ongoing and might/ you had complained they were affecting your ability to study.

That way the GP knows what you want and can write it quickly. You need to give him all the info, so that you can leave it with reception, the GP has everything he needs and you can pick it up at reception. Obviously the GP can and will only say certain things, but you can indicate the sort of letter you want and is reasonable to ask for.

The GP is likely to want paying £20-30 for the letter. Its standard. That's the bit I think you have to sort out with reception. If its a practice anywhere near the uni then they will write a lot of them. The problem as pointed out by RC is getting a GP to write a retrospective letter when they havent seen you before. That isnt an issue for you.

Thank you a *ton* 999tigger! Really helped me feel at ease and understand the situation. Thank you! :* x
Thank you a *ton* 999tigger! Really helped me feel at ease and understand the situation. Thank you! :* x

Thats just my interpretation of making it easy for the GP to give you the letter you want, within the limitations of what they can or will say. By giving him all the info, then you are just making it easy for them. GL anyway.
Reply 9
Thats just my interpretation of making it easy for the GP to give you the letter you want, within the limitations of what they can or will say. By giving him all the info, then you are just making it easy for them. GL anyway.

Thank you for spending your evening helping me! Means a lot honestly x
Thank you for spending your evening helping me! Means a lot honestly x

Your welcome and at least you have the fact you have seen the GP before about it.I hope you understand the approach for your letter and how that helps you. You cnat ask for anything they cant say, but you are just getting them o repeat the record so far.
Reply 11
Your welcome and at least you have the fact you have seen the GP before about it.I hope you understand the approach for your letter and how that helps you. You cnat ask for anything they cant say, but you are just getting them o repeat the record so far.

I understand! Yes I wouldn't ask for anything I haven't stated in my appointment ect, it is just me literally stating what I came to discuss stress/anxiety at x time, on x day, and discussing x time periods and what I have done beforehand. Thank you again, I understand what I need to state in my letter! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending