The Student Room Group

AQA AS Mathematics - Pure Core 1 MPC1 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imundercover
same :frown:

I feel like I am B/A borderline.
Original post by MajorFader
I feel like I am B/A borderline.

i feel like i can easily get an A, i know how to do the questions but my problem is i always do stupid mistakes, like writing the wrong sign or misreading a number and i feel like thats really going to mess up my grade.... also got an a bad feeling it's going to be a tricky paper this year :frown:
i feel like i can easily get an A, i know how to do the questions but my problem is i always do stupid mistakes, like writing the wrong sign or misreading a number and i feel like thats really going to mess up my grade.... also got an a bad feeling it's going to be a tricky paper this year :frown:

A2 student here.

Guys the worst thing you can do is panic, you gotta chill out and not worry. I made the mistake of letting my nerves get the better of me last year and I ended up walking into C1 and C2 on like 3-4 hours of sleep... not ideal. (still had 91 and 96 ums though)

If you have worked hard all year and really want those top grades then you'll probably find that 'fight or flight' mode will activate in the exam, and the adrenaline coursing through your veins will sharpen you up and prevent you from making those silly mistakes you are worried about.

Its all about your psyche. Have confidence in yourself and keep an optimistic attitude. Reassure yourself that if it is a tricky paper like you fear, then the boundaries will be low.

Good luck lads(or lasses?). You can do it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PedanticStudent
A2 student here.

Guys the worst thing you can do is panic, you gotta chill out and not worry. I made the mistake of letting my nerves get the better of me last year and I ended up walking into C1 and C2 on like 3-4 hours of sleep... not ideal. (still had 91 and 96 ums though)

If you have worked hard all year and really want those top grades then you'll probably find that 'fight or flight' mode will activate in the exam, and the adrenaline coursing through your veins will sharpen you up and prevent you from making those silly mistakes you are worried about.

Its all about your psyche. Have confidence in yourself and keep an optimistic attitude. Reassure yourself that if it is a tricky paper like you fear, then the boundaries will be low.

Good luck lads(or lasses?). You can do it.

A2 student here too. Resitting C1 and C2 in aim of getting 90+ UMS because C3 and C4 are going to be truly horrible papers. I agree with you, just hoping my nerves will be at bay so I can get 90+, as the problem-solving aspects of the paper are easier to spot now having done harder maths. Need an A for medicine so I'm very worried but I'm sure it'll be OK!!!
Original post by FKAsamuel
A2 student here too. Resitting C1 and C2 in aim of getting 90+ UMS because C3 and C4 are going to be truly horrible papers. I agree with you, just hoping my nerves will be at bay so I can get 90+, as the problem-solving aspects of the paper are easier to spot now having done harder maths. Need an A for medicine so I'm very worried but I'm sure it'll be OK!!!

I follow WJEC, but still do AQA for practice as my exam board's past papers are suspiciously easy. I empathise with you entirely on the C3 and C4 being nasty - I recently did the 2016 ones and they are hard. - But I think it was like 59/75 for 100UMS on the C3 - absolutely mental. I have never seen grade boundaries be that low.

Yeah you will probably find C1 and C2 a walk in the park - I have spoken to a few guys who resat the AS after doing C3 and C4 like yourself and found it to be very easy to knock out with a high percentage owing to the more rigorous practice they'd had.

All you can really do is work hard -- at least you don't need an A*, right? (every cloud has a silver lining :biggrin:)

Good luck mate, hope you achieve what you need.
(edited 6 years ago)
I follow WJEC, but still do AQA for practice as my exam board's past papers are suspiciously easy. I empathise with you entirely on the C3 and C4 being nasty - I recently did the 2016 ones and they are hard. - But I think it was like 59/75 for 100UMS on the C3 - absolutely mental. I have never seen grade boundaries be that low.

Yeah you will probably find C1 and C2 a walk in the park - I have spoken to a few guys who resat the AS after doing C3 and C4 like yourself and found it to be very easy to knock out with a high percentage owing to the more rigorous practice they'd had.

All you can really do is work hard -- at least you don't need an A*, right? (every cloud has a silver lining :biggrin:)

Thank you, you too!!!!!
Reply 66

LITERALLY SAME! i keep losing 5 marks on past papers cos I put stupid things like 6-2=3:angry:
Reply 67
i dont understand what ums are..?:curious:
Original post by Divya_p
LITERALLY SAME! i keep losing 5 marks on past papers cos I put stupid things like 6-2=3:angry:

SAME! I literally scored 74/75 on one paper because I wrote 17 - 10 = 4 .... :colonhash: I hated myself for like a week after LOL
Original post by Divya_p
i dont understand what ums are..?:curious:

https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/UniformMarkDocument.pdf

Have a quick skim of this - its for WJEC but the concept of "UMS" is the same across all boards.

What comparisons did you make between the WJEC A level maths exams and the AQA? Did you find one of them with a harder style of questioning?
Original post by MajorFader
What comparisons did you make between the WJEC A level maths exams and the AQA? Did you find one of them with a harder style of questioning?

AQA for me is without a doubt harder. Maybe this is because I was taught WJEC styles of techniques/questions from the start, but there is certainly a noticeable shift in difficulty I believe.
AQA for me is without a doubt harder. Maybe this is because I was taught WJEC styles of techniques/questions from the start, but there is certainly a noticeable shift in difficulty I believe.

Some papers I'm in difference of like 2 grades. Eg: one year I may get a grade, then another paper I'll get 2 grades lower. I'm a bit worried now.. I get the basics of each topic. But find it hard to answer the actual question. Any helpful tips?
Original post by MKaur18
Some papers I'm in difference of like 2 grades. Eg: one year I may get a grade, then another paper I'll get 2 grades lower. I'm a bit worried now.. I get the basics of each topic. But find it hard to answer the actual question. Any helpful tips?

Tbh all I did was practice constantly and make sure I can accurately answer all questions that have ever come up for every topic. I would simply sit and do absolutely everything.

It really helps if you can understand the questions as well, since then it is likely that you will be able to draw parallels with a similar one you have seen before if an unfamiliar question comes up.
Tbh all I did was practice constantly and make sure I can accurately answer all questions that have ever come up for every topic. I would simply sit and do absolutely everything.

It really helps if you can understand the questions as well, since then it is likely that you will be able to draw parallels with a similar one you have seen before if an unfamiliar question comes up.

Exam in two days. Hoping I can bump up my grades from my mocks. Fingers crossed - so I don't have to resit the papers next year.
Reply 75
Good luck to all of you!
Keep in mind there are people resitting, so the more experienced A2 students resitting might heighten the grade boundaries for the AS students.
Original post by Skyliee
Good luck to all of you!
Keep in mind there are people resitting, so the more experienced A2 students resitting might heighten the grade boundaries for the AS students.

Omg I hadn't thought of this, and there'll be more than usual due to last year's paper. Great :indiff:
Original post by FKAsamuel
Anyone know good, harder papers to do when you run out of AQA ones?

Madas Maths
Original post by NiamhM1801
Omg I hadn't thought of this, and there'll be more than usual due to last year's paper. Great :indiff:

Yeah, a LOT of A2 students resit core one because after doing core 3 and core 4 the maths in core one is simple, and then it makes it easier to UNDERSTAND what is happening, etc. It's usually why the grade boundaries are high in AS maths! Good luck to everyone anyway, we'll smash it :smile:
Original post by Skyliee
Good luck to all of you!

Okay now you've made me start to panic for the exam..😭😂😢

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending