wat a wizard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok so the speed limit was 60 and I was doing 60-61mph on the speedometer.. so real life speed approx. 56-57mph, but the camera definitely flashed. I have seen the speed limit boards spaz out a few times changing from 60 to 50 and then back to 60 all in 3 seconds. Could it be that as the speed limit board disappeared from view the speed limit changed and I was flashed?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wat a wizard)
Ok so the speed limit was 60 and I was doing 60-61mph on the speedometer.. so real life speed approx. 56-57mph, but the camera definitely flashed. I have seen the speed limit boards spaz out a few times changing from 60 to 50 and then back to 60 all in 3 seconds. Could it be that as the speed limit board disappeared from view the speed limit changed and I was flashed?
No. There is a delay between the board changing and the speed cameras threshold being updated.

Are you sure it wasn't someone else being flashed, perhaps on the other side of the road? Whereabouts on the M1 were you?
Horsedobbin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The camera took a picture of you going slowa than the limit, so no problem.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Speed cameras have a window of forgiveness with variable speed limits. IIRC it's something like 1 minute.

As for the flash... Variable cameras are GATSO cameras iirc. I've heard that they can do test flashes, whether that's true or not is beyond me. If it only flashed once, regardless of what the SL was, it doesn't matter, GATSOs need 2 pictures (thus 2 flashes) to prove what speed you're travelling at.

The only other thing I can think of, is that you didn't notice a change in the SL.

On odd occasions, GTASOs will accidentally flash (forward facing photos can't be used as the flash poses an obvious safety hazard) oncoming traffic, though I've only heard of road-side GTASOs doing this. Of course, it could've been flashing someone else who was speeding.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Speed cameras have a window of forgiveness with variable speed limits. IIRC it's something like 1 minute.

As for the flash... Variable cameras are GATSO cameras iirc. I've heard that they can do test flashes, whether that's true or not is beyond me. If it only flashed once, regardless of what the SL was, it doesn't matter, GATSOs need 2 pictures (thus 2 flashes) to prove what speed you're travelling at.

The only other thing I can think of, is that you didn't notice a change in the SL.

On odd occasions, GTASOs will accidentally flash (forward facing photos can't be used as the flash poses an obvious safety hazard) oncoming traffic, though I've only heard of road-side GTASOs doing this. Of course, it could've been flashing someone else who was speeding.
AFAIK the HADECS 3 cameras were rolled out in a few places down the M1 and all the old GATSOs in the gantries disabled. If my memory serves me correctly, they only flash once. It wholy depends whereabouts on the M1 OP was.
wat a wizard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
No. There is a delay between the board changing and the speed cameras threshold being updated.

Are you sure it wasn't someone else being flashed, perhaps on the other side of the road? Whereabouts on the M1 were you?
The camera seemed to flash directly behind me. There was another car overtaking me at the time by they could not have been going more than 3mph quicker than me. I thought we were pulling away from the other cars, but this could just be me worrying. I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks. It was just after J11.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wat a wizard)
The camera seemed to flash directly behind me. There was another car overtaking me at the time by they could not have been going more than 3mph quicker than me. I thought we were pulling away from the other cars, but this could just be me worrying. I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks. It was just after J11.
Likelihood is it caught them, not you.
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)

(Original post by TheMcSame)

I got a ticket through from "speeding" on the M25 towards Heathrow not long ago. I was doing 60 on the left lane, when the temporary speed limit matrix above me flashed from national down to 40 - I remember seeing it just change as I went under it - and lo and behold, I got a fixed penalty notice for it. Apparently so did about 50 other people, and they were all dropped, so no harm done, but it can happen if something goes a bit wonky with the system!
gottaw3233
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you get a ticket for this? The same thing just happened to me near the same junction. It said 60mph limit and I was going around 57.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gottaw3233)
Did you get a ticket for this? The same thing just happened to me near the same junction. It said 60mph limit and I was going around 57.
If you were doing 57 then you don't need to worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.7%
Labour (161)
40.15%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.45%
Green Party (30)
7.48%
Brexit Party (12)
2.99%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.5%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.25%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)