The Student Room Group

Edinburgh VS Durham Maths - plz help me :)

Hey there everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle atm, choosing between Edinburgh n' Durham. Wondering whether anyone can help.
Firstly, I know both Uni's are great and I'd be happy to study at either one of them. All my teachers and parents and friends are constantly talking about Durham's reputation and its position on the league tables, however I prefer Edinburgh as a University because of its city location and just general feel . My only real attraction to Durham is the option to study in Tokyo which would be v v groovy.
I want to continue study to Phd level at another University, so my question is is it worth me dropping a few places on the league table to go to Edinburgh? Is it really that much of a difference? Will a 1st or 2:1 from one be considered more attractive than the other?
Thanks in advance for all help you can give me, would love to hear some reviews from any students if you happen to come across this!

P.S - was wondering why Edinburgh is always so high on international league tables, and Durham so low, and vice versa for national league tables? Is it to do with the size? With international and national reputations considered, where would they rank against each other?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very curious! :smile:
Reply 1
From my experience of applying to PhDs (admittedly in physics but it's not too dissimilar), the university you actually studied at means very little. What they care about is your grades (1st, 2.1 ect), relevant exposure to the area you want to do your PhD in and good references.

If you think that you'd rather study at Edinburgh then do that. The difference will be minimal at best.

Quick Reply

Latest