How can I get a grade 8/9 (old a*) in french/german GCSE?

Watch this thread
Bethb2516
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone!
French and German are the two subjects which I am the most passionate about, hence the reason why I'd love to come out with an a* (8/9) at the end of year 11.
At the moment, I'm predicted around a grade 7 (old A grade) as I got around 85% in my mocks overall. It'd be great if anyone has some tips on improving in general!
txlu.xx
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Random question:/ what is gcse german like??? because i don't know whether to pick it for gcse yet
Bethb2516
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by txlu.xx)
Random question:/ what is gcse german like??? because i don't know whether to pick it for gcse yet
Personally, I quite enjoy it, but I know a lot of others in my class don't - however that could just be dependant on our teacher who's quite strict haha
Anyways, languages at GCSE are quite different from what you've studied through out 7, 8 and 9. Instead of just simply studying vocabulary, you have to learn the grammar of the langauge, which I really enjoy, as you can actually construct your own sentences and paragraphs, without having to look at endless sheets. I find German grammar to be a fair bit harder than French grammar, however once you get to grips with it, you'll be fine
All in all, I'd say take it, as a GCSE langauge will look great on your CV. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!
AimeeC9
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Heyy!
Currently studying A- Level German and got an A* at GCSE.

All I can say is VOCAB, VOCAB and more VOCAB is key. You have got to know your vocab!
I find it helpful to actually learn it from English to German rather than German to English like people usually do - it sticks more. Then one you get the hang of English to Gemran do it from Gemran to English.

Do you have a German text book? Flick to a random page - if there is a german passage on there try and translate it with no help at all.

Try and even speak german with your friends or just speak German in general (I do it to my family members eben though they don't understand - just translate afterward! )

Another thing I found really useful is to flashcard words that you come accross that you don't know then try to use it in your next oral/ wirtten work where appropriate.

Hope this helps! What techniques are you working on so far?
labrador716
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey there,
I'm doing IGCSE at the moment, which is pretty much identical to the new GCSE apart from a few things. Some things i've found helpful:

- for speaking photo card, find loads of random pictures either online or your own, and think about what you would say for 'was gibt es auf diesem foto?' q. you don't even have to answer in german - just think up what you can say (eg foreground, background, colours, expressions). Make sure that you're using opinions, which can be as simple as 'ich glaube das es sommer ist, weil es sonnig ist'

- for speaking general conversation, write a lot of generic phrases which you can use for most topics whilst you're thinking about your actual answer! You could have 'ich wohne in der nähe von meiner schule', or 'ich würde sagen, dass ich ziemlich gesund bin...' etc.

- for listening and reading: as someone else has said, learn the vocab. Get kids books/audiobooks in german - i read loads of roald dahl books in german! you won't get some of the vocab, but because you know the stories you'll pick up loads of new vocab without realising

- again for listening and reading - immerse yourself in german culture! read german newspapers online to do with stuff you're interested in (then you'll actually want to do it) watch films (even with english subtitles - get the sound of language into your head), listen to german radio, set your facebook language settings to german - whatever you like to do in english, try it in german.

- for writing: you can use your stock phrases from speaking here as well, but make sure you've got a mental checklist of impressive grammar to use (infinitive constructions, lots of tenses, comparatives, passive if you can). read the question three times and underline what you need to talk about to make sure you don't miss anything. read examiner reports from igcse - they tell you what they like to see = good grades

- finally, for translation: as you're reading something in english, mentally try to translate parts of the text. you don't have to write it down or even do the whole text - just get 'thinking in the german way'. when you're checking your work, be vigilant! are your tenses right? are your adjective endings correct? if you don't know a word make an informed guess - german is logical like that, you might be right..

Hope this helps!
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by labrador716)
Hey there,
I'm doing IGCSE at the moment, which is pretty much identical to the new GCSE apart from a few things. Some things i've found helpful:

- for speaking photo card, find loads of random pictures either online or your own, and think about what you would say for 'was gibt es auf diesem foto?' q. you don't even have to answer in german - just think up what you can say (eg foreground, background, colours, expressions). Make sure that you're using opinions, which can be as simple as 'ich glaube das es sommer ist, weil es sonnig ist'

- for speaking general conversation, write a lot of generic phrases which you can use for most topics whilst you're thinking about your actual answer! You could have 'ich wohne in der nähe von meiner schule', or 'ich würde sagen, dass ich ziemlich gesund bin...' etc.

- for listening and reading: as someone else has said, learn the vocab. Get kids books/audiobooks in german - i read loads of roald dahl books in german! you won't get some of the vocab, but because you know the stories you'll pick up loads of new vocab without realising

- again for listening and reading - immerse yourself in german culture! read german newspapers online to do with stuff you're interested in (then you'll actually want to do it) watch films (even with english subtitles - get the sound of language into your head), listen to german radio, set your facebook language settings to german - whatever you like to do in english, try it in german.

- for writing: you can use your stock phrases from speaking here as well, but make sure you've got a mental checklist of impressive grammar to use (infinitive constructions, lots of tenses, comparatives, passive if you can). read the question three times and underline what you need to talk about to make sure you don't miss anything. read examiner reports from igcse - they tell you what they like to see = good grades

- finally, for translation: as you're reading something in english, mentally try to translate parts of the text. you don't have to write it down or even do the whole text - just get 'thinking in the german way'. when you're checking your work, be vigilant! are your tenses right? are your adjective endings correct? if you don't know a word make an informed guess - german is logical like that, you might be right..

Hope this helps!
This sounds extremely helpful! I have my Year 10 mock soon and I’m so worried so I’ll try this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads