For those think they're too old to be going to uni...

Watch
Erik28
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I found this article the other day, a 97 year old man in India completes his Masters in Economics, making him India's record holder for the oldest man to do so

So for those on here who are thinking about applying to uni but think they're too old... Never!

Let this man inspire you

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india...or-273715.html
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol you know you spend too much time on Twitter when you look for the 'Retweet' button on a post on TSR.

Repped anyway, nice story.
Omarthefirst
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
knowledge is power
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its irrelevant though nice story but the biggest objection from my family about me going back to university was how was it ever going to pay for itself. quite a few people have told me they think I am making a big mistake going back. I personally don't put a lot of stock in the Finances argument if it gets you a job you actually want to do after all there are 168 hours a week. you spend 49-56 of those hours sleeping usually 56 if your been healthy. Most people will work 40 hour weeks and spend an hour every day commuting so effectively 47 hours a week, but not really if we factor in Breakfast and getting ready for work we can add another 7 hours. I do not count sleeping as been alive as you are unconscious. so 54 out of 112 hours is spent revolving around your job. for most of your life. Kinda seems more important to make sure you actually enjoy what your doing rather then just pure finances.

However that was the argument put forward,
Valerian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cool, so if I do have funds, when I eventually retire from whatever job I get after being a mature student, I can do another degree and keep my brain active.
Interesting that Luke7456 doesn't 'count sleeping as been alive as you are unconscious'; what state does that mean that you are in when you are unconscious? Dead? And is sleep a state of unconsciousness?
Being asleep is not the same thing as being unconscious. Someone who is sleeping will normally respond to loud noises or gentle shaking, however, someone who is unconscious will not. An unconscious person cannot cough or clear their throat. This can endanger their life if the airway becomes compromised.
Take it from someone who has been unconscious and slept many times - they are different.

The worst thing about starting uni. Spending first year explaining that I wasn't a new lecturer or postgrad. If I had found just one person my age without a staff tag I'd have been happy.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
@shadowdweller saw a 92 year old man receive his first degree and he got a standing ovation :love:
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Valerian)
Cool, so if I do have funds, when I eventually retire from whatever job I get after being a mature student, I can do another degree and keep my brain active.
Interesting that Luke7456 doesn't 'count sleeping as been alive as you are unconscious'; what state does that mean that you are in when you are unconscious? Dead? And is sleep a state of unconsciousness?
Being asleep is not the same thing as being unconscious. Someone who is sleeping will normally respond to loud noises or gentle shaking, however, someone who is unconscious will not. An unconscious person cannot cough or clear their throat. This can endanger their life if the airway becomes compromised.
Take it from someone who has been unconscious and slept many times - they are different.

The worst thing about starting uni. Spending first year explaining that I wasn't a new lecturer or postgrad. If I had found just one person my age without a staff tag I'd have been happy.
Technically you are still alive obviously I just dont see it as part of my life in the sense that it is not the same as the everyday conscious experience. If your happy to work all the time and count sleep as your luxury time then that is your prerogative its not the way i view things though.

Anyway I forgot to mention a degree would still pay for itself in my case anyway.
Valerian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luke7456)
Technically you are still alive obviously I just dont see it as part of my life in the sense that it is not the same as the everyday conscious experience. If your happy to work all the time and count sleep as your luxury time then that is your prerogative its not the way i view things though.

Anyway I forgot to mention a degree would still pay for itself in my case anyway.
'Technically' you are still alive.....crumbs what sort of evidence do you want an EEG?
Sleep is valuable. If you don't get enough of it, it impedes the process of learning, getting enough also seems to be vital to how we lay down memories.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...5.00434.x/full
Scroll to the last section
Sleep is far from a luxury it is a necessity.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
@shadowdweller saw a 92 year old man receive his first degree and he got a standing ovation :love:
It was pretty awesome, he looked so happy about it! :ahee:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (55)
28.65%
No (137)
71.35%

Watched Threads