arielynjoan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I really want to get all A*s in my GCSEs (I think I can do it) however the one subject that I suck at is history. Can someone pls tell me how to revise history as there's like 3 different topics (Cold War, Britain and Nazi Germany) I want to do it without my teacher cause I hate him and I want to prove him wrong.
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I'm also taking History GCSE too and am hoping for great grades. (I'm doing Public Health, Surgery and Britain and I did Nazi Germany as coursework)

Personally my advice would be -if you're a visual learner or if writing notes help you- to draw mind maps. These can just be on A4 paper, nothing too big. Write them out in each section and make it super specific so for example, one mind map focusing one why migration to Britain was rapidly increasing during the industrial revolution, so you'd mention the Irish potato famine, the improvements in technology and how that led to less jobs for farm labourers due to the new machinery, etc. You don't have to make it essays long but I'd advise you to write at least a sentence or two explaining what happened as eloquently as possible. I'm someone with bad memory but I'd say this definitely helps. If you're struggling then brief notes won't be useful, I know some of my friends have done super brief notes and when revising for mocks they used my notes instead --they still got good grades anyway but still, just in case.

Another way to help is write a song. I'm being serious, get a song that you like and change the lyrics into important things you need to remember, it's something that's so different from just writing notes and something that's so fun that you'll be bound to remember it. The funnier the better.

I hope this helps, good luck with your revision
arielynjoan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
Hey! I'm also taking History GCSE too and am hoping for great grades. (I'm doing Public Health, Surgery and Britain and I did Nazi Germany as coursework)

Personally my advice would be -if you're a visual learner or if writing notes help you- to draw mind maps. These can just be on A4 paper, nothing too big. Write them out in each section and make it super specific so for example, one mind map focusing one why migration to Britain was rapidly increasing during the industrial revolution, so you'd mention the Irish potato famine, the improvements in technology and how that led to less jobs for farm labourers due to the new machinery, etc. You don't have to make it essays long but I'd advise you to write at least a sentence or two explaining what happened as eloquently as possible. I'm someone with bad memory but I'd say this definitely helps. If you're struggling then brief notes won't be useful, I know some of my friends have done super brief notes and when revising for mocks they used my notes instead --they still got good grades anyway but still, just in case.

Another way to help is write a song. I'm being serious, get a song that you like and change the lyrics into important things you need to remember, it's something that's so different from just writing notes and something that's so fun that you'll be bound to remember it. The funnier the better.

I hope this helps, good luck with your revision
Thank u SM. You know how we always get those 'explain key facts' how do I know what's keyy? Also how do u manage timing?
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kirstenolivia)
Thank u SM. You know how we always get those 'explain key facts' how do I know what's keyy? Also how do u manage timing?
Sadly my mock exam was somehow misplaced before my teacher had a chance to mark it so I may not be 100% the best to turn to, seeing as I haven't received personal constructive feedback, but I'll give it a go .

With timing, I suggest always looking at the marks awarded in each question to help you judge how much to write and how long to spend. When I started my mock paper, rather than going straight to the first question, I flicked through the entire paper to see how many 'long' questions there were. This helped me to bear in mind whilst I did other questions when I should move on. If there's an 8 mark question for example, try to be as concise as possible and spend around maybe 12 minutes maximum, making at least 6 good points.

As for 'key facts' it's really about understanding the question and knowing what the question wants from you. For example, if the question asks you to explain the treatment of women in Nazi Germany, the key points would be some of the laws and social expectations concerning women. You could mention how it were illegal for them to be teachers or lawyers or any other profession and link it to how women were expected to be housewives. It's all about just knowing what the question is asking, then ask yourself what were popular beliefs around that time, what did say, the government or authority do about that thing and elaborate on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (438)
67.49%
No (211)
32.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed