The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loans 2017/18 - residency query

I posted this in a reply to my own thread but that's the wrong place. Really need help with this.

I have always lived in England. However, I applied for a MSc course at Edinburgh University beginning of Feb 2017, moved to Scotland as the opportunity arose (long story) Middle of Feb 2017. Have settled my kids in the new school etc (thought we would be happy here even if I didn't get into the course).

Well! Now I have been accepted on the course! And, I will have lived in Scotland for 4 months before they open the applications for Postgraduate loans (why is it so late in June)! This means I will be living in Scotland when I apply to Student Finance England, what does this mean for residency criteria??!

No one seems able to be clarify this for me and when I look online, it says things like 'have to ordinarily be a resident in England' to get the PG loan, what does that mean, in detail? Yes I was ordinarily a resident but moved up pretty early for the course, to get the kids settled (luckily Partner works from home so we are mobile)
I spoke to someone from Student finance on the phone but he wasn't 100% sure either!

I am really confused and not hopeful that I will get finance :-(

Has anyone been through similar? No one seems to know the answer and to wait until June to plan finances/know if I can even pay to go is a nightmare, I have a nursery place to secure for my youngest who is a baby (etc)

Student finance moving the applications to June have really messed things up for me... They originally said (in November) applications would be open February. Arghh
Original post by Cult_Of_Poets
I posted this in a reply to my own thread but that's the wrong place. Really need help with this.

I have always lived in England. However, I applied for a MSc course at Edinburgh University beginning of Feb 2017, moved to Scotland as the opportunity arose (long story) Middle of Feb 2017. Have settled my kids in the new school etc (thought we would be happy here even if I didn't get into the course).

Well! Now I have been accepted on the course! And, I will have lived in Scotland for 4 months before they open the applications for Postgraduate loans (why is it so late in June)! This means I will be living in Scotland when I apply to Student Finance England, what does this mean for residency criteria??!

No one seems able to be clarify this for me and when I look online, it says things like 'have to ordinarily be a resident in England' to get the PG loan, what does that mean, in detail? Yes I was ordinarily a resident but moved up pretty early for the course, to get the kids settled (luckily Partner works from home so we are mobile)
I spoke to someone from Student finance on the phone but he wasn't 100% sure either!

I am really confused and not hopeful that I will get finance :-(

Has anyone been through similar? No one seems to know the answer and to wait until June to plan finances/know if I can even pay to go is a nightmare, I have a nursery place to secure for my youngest who is a baby (etc)

Student finance moving the applications to June have really messed things up for me... They originally said (in November) applications would be open February. Arghh

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-6193

This is the official legislation and case law around what is classed as ordinary residency. These are the guidelines SFE will be following. As you will see if you click through to the detailed definition of ordinary residency and the case law examples it's not straightforward and is very much decided on a case by case basis.

It might be worth keeping some utility bills or a rental agreement for an address in England until the 1 September in order to meet the requirements in a clearcut way. Alternatively you'll be arguing that the move to Scotland is for education purposes only (which should be acceptable but might be difficult to prove without a degree of toing and froing).

Or to look into the regulations for declaring residency in Scotland (saas do offer some support for postgraduate courses) or as a relative of an EU citizen (Scottish rules are more flexible than English rules but the support available is different).

Devolution has turned this into a legislative nightmare and trying to ensure stability for your family isn't something SFE or the government really considered.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-6193

This is the official legislation and case law around what is classed as ordinary residency. These are the guidelines SFE will be following. As you will see if you click through to the detailed definition of ordinary residency and the case law examples it's not straightforward and is very much decided on a case by case basis.

It might be worth keeping some utility bills or a rental agreement for an address in England until the 1 September in order to meet the requirements in a clearcut way. Alternatively you'll be arguing that the move to Scotland is for education purposes only (which should be acceptable but might be difficult to prove without a degree of toing and froing).

Or to look into the regulations for declaring residency in Scotland (saas do offer some support for postgraduate courses) or as a relative of an EU citizen (Scottish rules are more flexible than English rules but the support available is different).

Devolution has turned this into a legislative nightmare and trying to ensure stability for your family isn't something SFE or the government really considered.

Thank you so much for the info and taking the time to reply! I have phoned SFE twice, one person said I would be eligible for a PGL, another said not! I think it's complicated, as your post makes clear. Ultimately, no one knows unless I apply, but I cant leave big decisions until June as I need to be able to plan due to my small children. Arghh, the problems of being a student parent.

I spent ages writing a research proposal and have been accepted on the course, so I feel very disheartened. I also would've applied for a scholarship but Edinburgh aren't running them for Masters this year in my department :-(

Another thing, the problem with SAAS is they only do loans for Taught Masters, not Research Masters, which is frustrating. Maybe I should do a taught one and make my life easier, but not really the right path for my long term plans
Reply 3
I wondered if anyone from SFE has any advice on this?
HI, regulations state:

You can apply if you’re studying by distance learning.
You must be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course. If you change address after starting your course, you’ll remain eligible as long as you still live within the UK

thanks
Reply 5
Hi there,I'm just wondering if you managed to get funding from either SFE or SAAS in the end as I'm in a similar situation?Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest