The Student Room Group

Applications for Short term entry clearance officers (shteco)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HC2
Hi, I've also now been made a provisional offer after being on the reserve list. I noticed on the offer that it said about taking the STECO job as a second/additional role - has anyone done this or know how it works? I emailed the HO address but had no response. Thanks.

The second/additional role thing only applies if you work for an OGD (Other Government Department). If you're in an OGD then how it was explained to me was, you are released from your OGD to do the training and then you return to your substantive role until you are assigned an overseas location. You then go overseas for anything up to three months, return to your substantive role in your OGD and wait to be assigned again. Of course all of this is assuming your OGD releases you. Whilst out in assignment to the Home Office, your salary continues to be paid by your home department who then claim it back from the Home Office.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wanderlust-x
Hello

I was one of the few who were previously made an offer. To date no start date has been provided despite my security clearance and references coming back without issue. When I emailed them to ask when the likely start date would be, I received a curt reponse advising they were unable to provide that information and would be in touch once all checks were complete.

Having digged about a bit deeper, I think the start dates may not be till March 2018 although I have not received this information from an official source.

Like a previous poster, I have also been offered an HEO position in my home department which I already have a start date for. That said, I would love the opportunity to be able to work abroad so I suppose I am just going to have to see how the land lies when I am eventually offered a start date from the Home Office.

Hi.
I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing how you came to the estimation that the posts may start in March 2018?

I also was put on the reserve list initially, but then got offered a provisional post a few weeks ago.
I sent the required forms off but heard nothing back. I emailed them asking for any info at all and didn't get a reply.

I'm already an EO for Home Office and have CTC security clearance. I assume these roles need SC clearance (?) Which I've heard can take anything from two weeks to two months.

In the interview, they said that they'd be hoping to start people in the summer. So I have no idea if they have seasons or whatever or if it's just an ongoing thing.

I really wish they would give us at least a little insight as I also am in the process of applying for other jobs. Also my annual leave expires 1st March and I usually use it all in January to go travelling. I don't know whether I can book that now in case I get called up over January!

So if anyone has any insight as to how long the process takes or when the seasons could be or def won't be, that would help.

I think it's really darm rude of them not to provide any info whatsoever and I feel like I want to complain but also don't want to annoy them in case they place me in sheffield! (No offence to Sheffield but it isn't very tropical haha).

X x
Original post by WandererOfFun
Hi.
I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing how you came to the estimation that the posts may start in March 2018?

I also was put on the reserve list initially, but then got offered a provisional post a few weeks ago.
I sent the required forms off but heard nothing back. I emailed them asking for any info at all and didn't get a reply.

I'm already an EO for Home Office and have CTC security clearance. I assume these roles need SC clearance (?) Which I've heard can take anything from two weeks to two months.

In the interview, they said that they'd be hoping to start people in the summer. So I have no idea if they have seasons or whatever or if it's just an ongoing thing.

I really wish they would give us at least a little insight as I also am in the process of applying for other jobs. Also my annual leave expires 1st March and I usually use it all in January to go travelling. I don't know whether I can book that now in case I get called up over January!

So if anyone has any insight as to how long the process takes or when the seasons could be or def won't be, that would help.

I think it's really darm rude of them not to provide any info whatsoever and I feel like I want to complain but also don't want to annoy them in case they place me in sheffield! (No offence to Sheffield but it isn't very tropical haha).

X x

In my quest for further information I discovered the exact same role was being recruited for in the international locations that we will be sent to. In all of those job adverts, the start dates were advertised as March 2018. This is just me reading between the lines though and as stated previously I have had no official confirmation that we will be starting in March 2018.

My security clearance took about six weeks to come back. You'll get an email when it does come back.

Did you apply for the overseas Immigration Liaison Manager role which was advertised internally back in April? I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of that one :-(
In my quest for further information I discovered the exact same role was being recruited for in the international locations that we will be sent to. In all of those job adverts, the start dates were advertised as March 2018. This is just me reading between the lines though and as stated previously I have had no official confirmation that we will be starting in March 2018.

My security clearance took about six weeks to come back. You'll get an email when it does come back.

Did you apply for the overseas Immigration Liaison Manager role which was advertised internally back in April? I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of that one :-(

Hmmm...seems like a reasonable assumption. I wonder why they wouldn't just tell us that though. Annoying. I still haven't had a reply from my email asking them for any estimations. I don't think they have a telephone number?
No I didn't apply for thay one. I don't recall seeing it. I have a friend who is doing something similar (immigration liaison manager for third country unit) who has just finished 6 months in Athens and has now been offered to transfer to a different country. Hers was arranged pretty quickly though- like a couple of weeks after security clearance came back.
Good luck with your application! Like you say, we just have to have patience and see how the land lies if offered something else in the meantime.
Reply 84
Has any one with job offers heard anything back yet? i was made a provisional offer in August - i accepted and submitted all forms for them to do their checks, but have heard nothing since....i have sent at least 3 e-mails requesting an update...but nothing back at all.

Everyone else still in the same boat? Wonder what's going on....pretty rude and unpro really.
Original post by jas27
Has any one with job offers heard anything back yet? i was made a provisional offer in August - i accepted and submitted all forms for them to do their checks, but have heard nothing since....i have sent at least 3 e-mails requesting an update...but nothing back at all.

Everyone else still in the same boat? Wonder what's going on....pretty rude and unpro really.

I'm in the same boat.
I had an offer back in August 2017 and I sent all the forms off. I received the confirmation email that my emails had been received (automatic emails immediatley) but have heard nothing since.
I have emailed three times asking for any update, if they can confirm that I am still on the list or querying what exactly I'm waiting for, but I've had no response whatsoever.

I am shocked how rude they are being. It's appalling.

I'm sure I saw an alternative email address on some correspondance but will have to dig it out and try that. Wish there was a phone number.

As somewhere earlier mentioned there is a chance there may be start dates in March 2018 so I'm hanging on for that. But if I don't hear by then, I'm gonna start giving up.

Interested to see if anyone else has or has not heard? Or if anyone has had previous experience of how long the delays can be?
I’m also in the same boat. I have sent numerous emails, most of which have been ignored. I am at the point where I am almost tempted to tell them where to shove their job as this all process has been appalling.
Hi there , how did your interview go ? Did u get the job?
Update.
I got really frustrated with the wait and lack of info so I emailed them from a different email address.
They suggested thy may arrange training for March - not set yet. THEY asked ME if I had security clearance. I was like, uh, isn't that what you're supposed to be sorting out and what I've been waiting for you for over six months. Turns out they havent even applied for my clearance yet. Ive had to apply for it myslf so goodness knows how long I'll be waiting again. Im pretty gutted.

Anyone else heard any update about training/posting date? Anyone experienced the security clearance issue?

QUOTE=Wanderlust-x;75898386]I’m also in the same boat. I have sent numerous emails, most of which have been ignored. I am at the point where I am almost tempted to tell them where to shove their job as this all process has been appalling.
OMG,that is awful. I thought that an organisation like UKVI / Home Office would be organised during recruitment! Then that means may be one can't support during employment as well. I heard of any civil service organisation instructing individuals to get there own Secruity clearance. Never . Please keep us updated
I’ve had no updates. Whenever I have emailed I have just had generic ******** responses. Given that it will be March next week, I’m not holding my breath for a training date. I have been given the email address for the head of UKVI, I am tempted to make a complaint to him as this whole process has been nothing short of unprofessional.Re Security Clearence, mine came back in August and is valid for ten years. It did take about two months to come back. In the unlikely event I hear anything, I’ll keep you updated.
Wanderlust, when did you initially get your offer? Was it august 2017, same as me?
I forgot to say, I did actually complain via email, last thursday. I was hesitant as obviously we are still relying on them to give us a job, but I felt that their treatment of us was unreasonable.
I would recommend anyone who is being messed around does indeed complain. Then maybe they will make more of an effort to communicate and understand the effect it has on us being held in limbo for such a long time (I don't believe they didn't know last year that it was going to be at least 2018).
Did they automatically apply for your security clearance for you when you sent those forms off, or did you have to complete a website link later on?
Hope you hear some news soon.
I was made an offer in June 17. There were a load of forms I had to fill in at that point. It was either late June or early July when they sent me the web link for to apply for security clearance and it was towards the end of August that I received an email to say the clearance had been granted. I will make a formal complaint. There have been so many things (holidays, weekends away etc) that I have had to put on hold due to this. The arrogance of the Home Office to assume we should put our lives on hold awaiting information is quite astounding.Let me know how you get on and if I hear anything, I’ll report back.
It is indeed very arrogant of them.
I mentioned those issues in my complaint- I have had to put off moving house, could book my annual travel trip to visit relatives, have not been able to confirm weddings or any plans . I was under the impression initially that I'd be posted any day soon (in my interview I was told 'imminently'.
I think the least they could have done would have been to communicate monthly to let us know we are still being processed and that there was no training scheduled for the next month or whatever. Shambolic.
We'd better be posted somewhere awesome after all this 😒
I’ve eventually being given some useful information today. They are looking to start training courses in Croydon from 16th April, with a view to deploying people from May 2018. I have been emailed a form to complete outlining my availability for the rest of the year, whether I have security clearance and confirmation that I can be released from my existing role as I am internal. Just waiting for my manager to email this form back to them to confirm my release.I should point out that I have not been given a start date. The email states they will be starting training courses from 16th April but didn’t actually state I was on that particular course. Apparently once they have your completed form they will contact you (LOL) to confirm start dates.Given the shambolic recruitment methods, lack of information and general radio silence, I will not hold my breath that I will be offered a start date anytime soon.
Reply 95
I know the STECOs closed March 2017, how did you guys apply? I might apply if they have future posts. Thank you.
I’ve eventually being given some useful information today. They are looking to start training courses in Croydon from 16th April, with a view to deploying people from May 2018. I have been emailed a form to complete outlining my availability for the rest of the year, whether I have security clearance and confirmation that I can be released from my existing role as I am internal. Just waiting for my manager to email this form back to them to confirm my release.I should point out that I have not been given a start date. The email states they will be starting training courses from 16th April but didn’t actually state I was on that particular course. Apparently once they have your completed form they will contact you (LOL) to confirm start dates.Given the shambolic recruitment methods, lack of information and general radio silence, I will not hold my breath that I will be offered a start date anytime soon.

Hi Wanderlust.
Did you hear any further about your start date?
I'm still waiting for my SC to come through. I'm hoping it will be done by end of April.

Hopefully the information you received means we will actually get to go somewhere at some point at least!
Original post by Ness'B
I know the STECOs closed March 2017, how did you guys apply? I might apply if they have future posts. Thank you.

I can't really remember the exact route of application. I am internal and somehow came across it. If you are internal, then you could try searching for it on the Internet or ask an SEO.

If you're not internal, I think it appears on job sites but I'm not sure sorry.
HiI am also internal. Training to start from 30 April 2018 in Croydon. However I have to wait for SC clearance which will take anything from 4 to 8 weeks. I also got sent a calender stating my availability up to 31 March 2019. It also needs G6 approval as well as the SC being approved before you can be booked on the 2 week mandatory ECO course which you need to pass before being posted to one of the locations abroad.Regards
Reply 99
Well it seems things are finally moving! After applying in March 2017, interviewing in April 2017, being put on reserve list in June 2017, being made a provisional offer in August 2017 and then hearing NOTHING whatsoever i got an email yesterday requesting documents that i already submitted 6 months ago so that they can complete security checks!! Great to finally hear something but kind of crap timing as i just signed a 6 month contract with another employer - hopefully the time scales of security clearance will work in my favour and hopefully they will have training dates available in 6 months time! I cannot believe how long this whole process has taken!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending