Kingston or Goldsmiths for a prospective creative industry career Watch

achv19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got into Kingston University's Art Direction program which Business Of Fashion rated as being one of the best in the world, however I also got into Goldsmiths' Anthropology and Visual Practice. Which university has wider range of facilities and connections in the industry through which I, as a student, could secure internships and other experience gaining opportunities.
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kingston University

"Kingston University is an associate of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA). You will get free membership, participate in seminars and events, and have the opportunity to become a Kingston/ICA intern.

Our Stanley Picker Gallery is dedicated to innovative new practice across art, design and architecture. You may participate in events and projects and develop curatorial and programming experience.

Housing modernist design and art collections, Dorich House Museum is 'one of Kingston's hidden treasures'. You may participate in and propose events and projects and can apply for a range of volunteering opportunities to gain museum experience.

We will support you in securing work experience or internships. Past students have worked at: the Barbican; Estorick Gallery; ICA; Stanley Picker Gallery; V&A Museum; and Tate Galleries." - http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...-industry.html

"Kingston University has been named among the top 100 institutions in the globe for art and design education in the prestigious annual QS World University Rankings – and rated as a top performing international university in six other areas. The newly-released 2017 QS subject league tables ranked the University's art and design offering in the 51-100 band worldwide, placing it among the top five per cent globally and the best 25 in Europe." - http://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/artic...rt-and-design/

In terms of facilities - http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...acilities.html.

Having spoken to a lot of Kingston University students, from a range of different courses, they all spoke extremely positively in regards to the University.

You could always try contacting the Admissions department over the phone, or through email and ask them in regards to connections for internships/experience etc
Goldsmiths
"Anthropology at Goldsmiths is ranked: 1st in the UK for effective teaching* 6th in the UK for the quality of our research** 30th in the world for this subject area***
*Guardian University Guide League Tables 2017 **Research Excellence Framework 2014, Times Higher Education research intensity subject rankings ***QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017" - http://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/ba-anthropo...sual-practice/

"The Department of Anthropology has been placed in the UK's top 15 universities for this subject area (Complete University Guide league table 2014) and in the 2014 National Student Survey, anthropology at Goldsmiths received a high score of 95% for the overall quality of our teaching" - http://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/ba-anthropo...sual-practice/

You can also contact The Department of Anthropology directly in order to speak to them about facilities and connections - Email: [email protected] or phone them on: +44 (0)20 7919 7800 (Undergraduate and general enquiries)

My Thoughts
Have you been to an open day at either of the universities? If so, what were your thoughts? In regards to the courses, how different are the modules on offer? What modules would you prefer to study?

You can compare the two universities on UniStats in regards to student satisfaction, the teaching staff, the societies, career prospects etc.

Remember that just because a University has good connections, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to secure a placement. Likewise, just because a University doesn't have a certain 'connection' it doesn't completely rule you out of being able to get a placement at that place. You can always hunt for different volunteering opportunities and relevant part-time jobs, which can both be extremely useful. Likewise, you can always contact places directly, and ask them if it's possible to secure some work experience - tell them about your grades/skills, what university you are at etc.

I would definitely pick the course that you feel is more suited to you, and the university that you feel you'd enjoy more rather than picking somewhere you'd be less happy at in the hopes of it being easier to get a placement. Consider the pros and cons of studying at each university - the modules on offer, the facilities, the staff, the area, expenses, student satisfaction, the societies/student life. Definitely look up both universities Youtube channels and watch their relevant videos - it can be a great way of getting a full understanding of the department, the facilities on offer, and the staff. Feel free to contact relevant societies as well, and ask them questions. I emailed a few societies at Kingston University to ask them about the facilities on offer, and they were all extremely helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise