The Student Room Group

NCS and being terrified of heights

So, I'm doing NCS in the summer and I'm terrified of heights and I can't swim... Will this be a problem? And if so, any tips?
Reply 1
Learn to swim, it might be handy one say.
Original post by thatgirljaimie33
So, I'm doing NCS in the summer and I'm terrified of heights and I can't swim... Will this be a problem? And if so, any tips?

Hi,

I done NCS during summer of 2015, and then volunteered as a mentor the following summer of 2016. Your fear of heights and inability to swim shouldn't really be much of an issue.

The activities completed during week 1 vary from: Rock climbing, gorge walking, canoeing, surfing, camping; hiking etc. If you feel like you would not be able to complete an activity, you could choose to opt out. However, you most likely wouldn't. This is because these activities are completed as a group, and your whole group will be supporting you.

Your fear of heights would only really affect you during rock climbing, and even then it's not that bad. The wall/boulders climbed are not that high off of the ground, and you are supported with a rope. Your inability to swim shouldn't matter as you don't really swim during ncs.
Original post by Zwartble
Learn to swim, it might be handy one say.

I mean I would, but the hospital said that I shouldn't go swimming because I have glue ear..
Original post by MarxHatesParsons
Hi,

I done NCS during summer of 2015, and then volunteered as a mentor the following summer of 2016. Your fear of heights and inability to swim shouldn't really be much of an issue.

The activities completed during week 1 vary from: Rock climbing, gorge walking, canoeing, surfing, camping; hiking etc. If you feel like you would not be able to complete an activity, you could choose to opt out. However, you most likely wouldn't. This is because these activities are completed as a group, and your whole group will be supporting you.

Your fear of heights would only really affect you during rock climbing, and even then it's not that bad. The wall/boulders climbed are not that high off of the ground, and you are supported with a rope. Your inability to swim shouldn't matter as you don't really swim during ncs.

Okay, thank youuu:smile:
Reply 5
I did NCS last summer and it was brilliant. You will definitely be allowed to opt out of the activities you don't feel comfortable doing but they'll just try to encourage you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending