Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Science - a good degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    All those who know me, know that Im desperately trying evrything to get to Manchester University and do a psychology degree this year.
    Someone told me, it doesnt matter what degree you do, as long as the Uni is highly respectable.
    Anyway checking the clearing courses left, there is no psychology

Which means Im left with Man Met Uni, which is supposed to be crap.
    So Im sorta thinking to do Computer Science now, as Manchester are near the top in teaching it. I do have a Maths Alevel, so thats good and they want BBB, which I think I will get on Thursday.
    Does anyone know anything about this course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    All those who know me, know that Im desperately trying evrything to get to Manchester University and do a psychology degree this year.
    Someone told me, it doesnt matter what degree you do, as long as the Uni is highly respectable.
    Anyway checking the clearing courses left, there is no psychology

Which means Im left with Man Met Uni, which is supposed to be crap.
    So Im sorta thinking to do Computer Science now, as Manchester are near the top in teaching it. I do have a Maths Alevel, so thats good and they want BBB, which I think I will get on Thursday.
    Does anyone know anything about this course?
    The job market for comp science is very unpredictable . Before the dotcom bubble burst there were tons of jobs available in that sector . But if you have the skills , and are like good in your field ( there are tons of developements in the field ) you can always do well in a career .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it looks like theres good employement. But I always had my heart on psychology, always have Damn what the hell should I do?
    So confused, God has always been against me.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are some Scottish unis still have places for Psychology in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    The other thing I will say is it can be very boring, computer science is very much about comptuing and programming etc. If you're interested in it you will probably get a lot out of it, if not you will be better of working in tesco for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it looks like theres good employement. But I always had my heart on psychology, always have Damn what the hell should I do?
    Sucks hun . Maybe some other universities have got seats left to fill ?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid parents told me to stick to Manchester, as I live 20 minutes away, they sorta blackmailed me and this way I get a car. Now Ive got a car and Ive told them Im sticking to Manchester Uni;s. But so many people carry on saying dont go to Man Met, dont go to Salford, ARGHHHHH its driving me crazy.

ReputationRep:
    If your heart is set on Psychology, then that is what you should do. Doing a degree for the sake of a degree, rather than in a subject you like is the easiest way to become disillusioned with Uni, and drop-out or fail.

If you failed to get any offers for psychology before your results, then just re-apply after you have them. Spend some time working on your personal statement with your school, and find a job for a year.

It's better to work for a year, then go to uni richer, more mature, and on a course you love, than to frantically pick anything in clearing just to get a degree for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    If your heart is set on Psychology, then that is what you should do. Doing a degree for the sake of a degree, rather than in a subject you like is the easiest way to become disillusioned with Uni, and drop-out or fail.

If you failed to get any offers for psychology before your results, then just re-apply after you have them. Spend some time working on your personal statement with your school, and find a job for a year.

It's better to work for a year, then go to uni richer, more mature, and on a course you love, than to frantically pick anything in clearing just to get a degree for the sake of it.

But what job can I get? I already work in a supermarket at tills.

ReputationRep:
    Office work is a fairly good thing to do full time. Register with a load of temp-agencies and don't let them know you intend on going to Uni.

While its obviously your own choice, why not move away from home? It would probably be better in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at http://www.yini.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    You will only succeed in computer science if you are interested in it.....as AT said previously, it can be very boring. Also, a lot of people who study computer science know a lot about it before they go to uni...if you don't have any previous experience, you may find it hard to pick up. It is mathematical based, but there is also a fair amount of physics involved.

ReputationRep:
    If you really have your heart set on Psychology then thats what you should go for. If you're going to be doing a subject for three years then it might as well be one that you enjoy. Why not take a year out after your results come out to reapply to manchester uni and get your head together about what you really want to do?

Good Luck whatever your final decision

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.