Where to find literary criticism and interpretations for A-Level English Literature?

Watch this thread
Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm studying AS English Literature and am getting really frustrated because I can't seem to find any sort of literary critical opinions online for Tennessee Williams' 'A Streetcar Named Desire' to use in my essays?

Does anyone know any websites online, or any resources, where I can find criticism in different perspectives (Feminism, Marxism, Psychoanalytical) for Streetcar?

Thanks in advance!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
ewarner2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Username1502)
Hi,

I'm studying AS English Literature and am getting really frustrated because I can't seem to find any sort of literary critical opinions online for Tennessee Williams' 'A Streetcar Named Desire' to use in my essays?

Does anyone know any websites online, or any resources, where I can find criticism in different perspectives (Feminism, Marxism, Psychoanalytical) for Streetcar?

Thanks in advance!
I am exactly the same!! Did you manage to find any?? xx
Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ewarner2000)
Hiya,

My teacher gave me a nice pack with criticism for Streetcar, if you're studying this text. Let me know if you want it and I can e-mail it down.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If your school has a subscription to Jstor, go through articles on there and highlight good quotes.
g5924
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What grade are you aiming for? In the Streetcar exam you only need to know a handful of critical interpretations. Even if you memorise 2 or 3, as long as you analyse what the critic says, alongside what they are actually critiquing, then you are bound to secure top marks for AO4.

For critical interpretations, you don't necessarily even have to name and quote a critic. Bearing in mind that this is only a rough example, saying something along the lines of 'a feminist critic may argue that Stella is a prime example of the 'battered wife syndrome' as not once does she retaliate to Stanley's consistently misogynistic behaviour towards her' is just as good as saying '[X] argues [X's point]'. By the way, I would research deeper into the 'battered wife syndrome' as it links strongly to the psychoanalytical theory of learned helplessness, so you'd basically be killing two birds with one stone here if you'd want to analyse what the critic has to say

If your school/local library has them, try looking through literary magazines such as 'The English Review'. Every one of these magazines has a few articles inside written by known literature critics. Streetcar does appears quite often in this magazine so I don't think it will be that hard to find if you take a good look.

Although it's a bit of long read, I strongly suggest taking a look at Felicia Hardison Londré's critical analysis of Streetcar. It is definitely worth it.
ewarner2000
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,

My teacher gave me a nice pack with criticism for Streetcar, if you're studying this text. Let me know if you want it and I can e-mail it down.
That would be amazing! I'll pm you. xx
rosie.mn
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
JSTOR and simply typing a streetcar named desire into google scholar can be useful. It is possible to get a high grade with only a few critical interpretations, perhaps read an article for every theme? That could be good.
Secular_Priest
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Is this for edexcel?

If so, it isn't assessed based on AO5 so why are critical opinions relevant?
ewarner2000
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Secular_Priest)
Is this for edexcel?

If so, it isn't assessed based on AO5 so why are critical opinions relevant?
It's for AQA
Secular_Priest
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's for AQA
PHEW!!
gcawleyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,

Hi could you email this to me if you still have it? Ill dm you my email
Talissa.
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey that sounds real helpful, if you could hit me up with that i'd really appreciate it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (2)
8%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20%

Watched Threads