The Student Room Group

Smart phones!!!

Should children own smart phones? and why???
Depends on how you define "children". I remember when I was in primary school, and some of my friends had cheap smart phones that their parents had given them because they got the bus home or walked and they wanted to make sure that they got home safe. Otherwise, everybody has there reasons for giving their children a smart phone, some to make sure they keep us with the latest trends, others to simply make sure they feel safe. I feel though when you are around 11/12 years old, it's up to you which phone you need. For some people, if their phones make calls, texts and emails they don't need anything flashy. For others, they need it to do more. Personally, (I'm going to define children as anyone under 10) I think if the child has a need for a smart phone then they should be entitled to one, just like everybody else, but if they want it just to play games, then I think we've failed them. If a child needs a smart phone to have fun, then have we as a society ruined their imagination? Childhood is about making rocket ships out of cardboard boxes, and coming home from the park covered in mud, not making sure that your pretend world has enough food stores to survive.

I'm not saying that PHONES shouldn't be given to children, because in some cases, there is a genuine need for them. I'm just saying that I don't think an expensive smart phone will help anybody with anything, especially with children being able to gain access to social media websites under age just by lying, we're setting them up to be hurt by social media outlets.

So no, I don't think children should have SMART PHONES, however, having a phone with a legitimate use is fine in my eyes.Also of course it depends on your definition of "children", so everybody is going to have so many different views.
I don't think children need smartphones. I'm sorta assuming children = in Primary School btw. Once you're more independent and start going out alone I guess it would make sense to carry a phone around for emergencies (and entertainment). I got a flip phone in Sec 1 and was fine Bluetooth-ing music onto it lmao.

Quick Reply

Latest