The Student Room Group

Engineering v physics v maths

I'm trying to choose a university course and whilst doing so have decided on physics

However, recently I've found I've been much more interested in maths than physics, as i study it in sixth form.

(I'm also doing biology, but i'm DEFINITELY not doing that after A-level)

I'm going to look into maths at university. but i have some questions

Will it be difficult to study maths at university if i haven't done further maths a-level?

Where does engineering fall on the spectrum between physics and maths? (I don't think'd enjoy the practical element of engineering, if there is any. Purely the physical/mathematical side)

how different is maths at degree level from maths at a level?

Which one is the most flexible/leads to the most different pathways?

any advice on making the choice between physics, maths and engineering?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by madookl

Choose engineering if you want to be an engineer. But from your post, it sounds like your interests lie with maths and/or physics, rather than engineering.

Engineering degrees have some maths in them, but not anything like what a maths degree will have, and also quite a bit behind physics too. The degree will also have some practical work in it, software and group work. Ultimately, it's a vocational/professional degree, and not really comparable to maths or physics, which are pure science degrees.
Original post by madookl
I'm trying to choose a university course and whilst doing so have decided on physics

However, recently I've found I've been much more interested in maths than physics, as i study it in sixth form.

(I'm also doing biology, but i'm DEFINITELY not doing that after A-level)

I'm going to look into maths at university. but i have some questions

Will it be difficult to study maths at university if i haven't done further maths a-level?

Where does engineering fall on the spectrum between physics and maths? (I don't think'd enjoy the practical element of engineering, if there is any. Purely the physical/mathematical side)

how different is maths at degree level from maths at a level?

Which one is the most flexible/leads to the most different pathways?

All three subjects are broadly useful and will open up a range of careers.

Physics at university is extremely different to A level physics, which is designed so you don't have to know more than GCSE maths to understand it. This strips away most of the fundamental stuff eg. you can't actually do physics properly without calculus.

I'd advise looking at some first year uni stuff - many unis have lecture courses online, and you'll find it's much more mathematical. This should help you establish whether it's physics you don't like or just the way it's done at A level. I enjoyed maths A level much more than physics, but now study physics and don't regret it.

Maths at degree level is more proof based than at A level, and also quite abstract. Again, looking at first year stuff might help you.

Quick Reply