Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to for my meeting about what they're going to give me and they're giving me a computer (woooohooooo). But I was wondering, does anyone know if it is possible to add your own money to theirs and get a better computer or if you have to just get the one they give you?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My sister got a computer because she's disabled, and it's a pretty good computer anyway.

I think they do just bring you the computer, but you could ask them and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the LEA mine (Barnet) won't. When I got my 1st computer they recomended a 15" monitor and I wanted a 17" and they wouldn't let me. They also decided which PC and where from.

But then when the hard drive went pop they said "you have X amount left - pick a PC"

They have to fund you for a pc that will see you through your course so if you can think of a reason to have a better pc then tell them.

ReputationRep:
    My roommate got upgrades to his, but he did have to pay for them.

ReputationRep:
    The assessor for my DSA said I could upgrade to a laptop if I was willing to pay the difference in price, so that's what I did (the LEA is Enfield, btw). I don't see why this should be a problem depending on your LEA.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm thanks for the info. I guess I'll just ask them, no harm in it. But I did actually look at a few PCs from a provider they use and they look decent enough, so it might be fine.

ReputationRep:
    my mate (who i think is birmingham lea) has an allouance (sp?) and they tell him he has £4000 a year to spend on "technology" and he just sends the bill and they refund him...so that way you can choose how much you want to spend on what, and add to it what you want to.

love katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I was also given a grant by the LEA for IT equipment.

There standard rules are that as long as you purchase the equipment so that it meets, or betters there criteria you can use all of the money or more of your own.

Just make sure whatever you end up with still fits the reason they gave it to you.

Tip: KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!! its a pain if you lose them!

ReputationRep:
    I've added a document to my site about student allowances at uni. You might find it useful:

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk

Go to the information area on the right, then 'Teenagers' Button

Hope it helps

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.