Exeter or Plymouth Medical School? Watch

samrosenwalker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys

I've got offers from both these schools but I can't decide which one to accept! They both seem really good. Possible advantage of plymouth is the bigger hospitals (derriford) and the better facilities. Any advice that anyone could give would be really helpful!

Thanks
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by samrosenwalker)
Hey guys

I've got offers from both these schools but I can't decide which one to accept! They both seem really good. Possible advantage of plymouth is the bigger hospitals (derriford) and the better facilities. Any advice that anyone could give would be really helpful!

Thanks
Hi there!

Congratulations for receiving your offers!

Our best advice would be to pick the school that appeals most to you - there isn’t really a 'better' medical school as all schools result in GMC approved degrees, so our best advice would be to choose where you’d like to go most, taking the following into account:

- Which course do you prefer?
- Which city do you prefer?
- What is the Student Union like? Are extra-curriculars important to you?

You could make a list of pros and cons of each school and weigh up which you think would be the better choice for you - or try attending offer holder days. You might also find it useful to look at our blog on 4 Things To Consider When Choosing a Medical School!

Ultimately though, this is a nice problem to have, so choose where you’d most love to study!

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Exeter is a waaay nicer city

Posted from TSR Mobile
chocbrownie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ghotay)
Exeter is a waaay nicer city

Posted from TSR Mobile
But the opportunities seem better in Plymouth
dandylion1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I preferred Plymouth but might be biased as I did my first and second year there (3rd and 4th Exeter, 5th Plymouth). It is cheaper in general, more fun to be in as a student in my opinion and the staff/doctors just seem a bit friendlier. The hoe is beautiful in the one week of nice weather you'll get :P Exeter is a bit posher if you like that kind of thing, teaching I would say is of fairly equal quality although they are becoming a bit more different as the years go on.

Also Exeter medics all tend to live together and do form quite a tight knit group, whereas Plymouth students tend to live with non medics a bit more often.

Any more specific questions feel free to message me, I can ask my friends in the lower years if it's a bit more course related.
chocbrownie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dandylion1)
I preferred Plymouth but might be biased as I did my first and second year there (3rd and 4th Exeter, 5th Plymouth). It is cheaper in general, more fun to be in as a student in my opinion and the staff/doctors just seem a bit friendlier. The hoe is beautiful in the one week of nice weather you'll get :P Exeter is a bit posher if you like that kind of thing, teaching I would say is of fairly equal quality although they are becoming a bit more different as the years go on.

Also Exeter medics all tend to live together and do form quite a tight knit group, whereas Plymouth students tend to live with non medics a bit more often.

Any more specific questions feel free to message me, I can ask my friends in the lower years if it's a bit more course related.
Thank you so Much! Do you know how they are becoming more a bit different as the years go on?
dandylion1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chocbrownie)
Thank you so Much! Do you know how they are becoming more a bit different as the years go on?
Mostly in their assessments as far as I've heard - Exeter have moved to doing OSCEs as their finals, whereas Plymouth have stuck with doing ISCEs, some of the assessments have moved to different years etc. But they're both still PBL based (which worked well for me) and pretty much all of the content is the same!
medicalstudent1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
exeter if you come from private school
chocbrownie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mostly in their assessments as far as I've heard - Exeter have moved to doing OSCEs as their finals, whereas Plymouth have stuck with doing ISCEs, some of the assessments have moved to different years etc. But they're both still PBL based (which worked well for me) and pretty much all of the content is the same!
Is there a big difference between isces and osces? And would you say prestige matters for securing FY1 and future jobs?
dandylion1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there a big difference between isces and osces? And would you say prestige matters for securing FY1 and future jobs?
Osces are easier I would say because the stations are split up, eg one station you take a history, the next you do an examination, etc. Whereas Isces are all together in one station (which i believe is more realistic and prepares you better). These are your "finals" and are done currently in fourth year. But I wouldn't base my choice of uni on just that and it might change again by the time you get to fourth year anyway. You're probably better off emailing the schools to find out any more specific info.

Prestige doesn't matter at all when applying for jobs in the UK! I think it's definitely a lot easier to get into Plymouth atm because the non medical uni has less prestige but the teaching is just as good at both. Have you been to either of the cities for an open day yet?

Either way you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it, we've all had a lot of fun in both campuses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
chocbrownie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Osces are easier I would say because the stations are split up, eg one station you take a history, the next you do an examination, etc. Whereas Isces are all together in one station (which i believe is more realistic and prepares you better). These are your "finals" and are done currently in fourth year. But I wouldn't base my choice of uni on just that and it might change again by the time you get to fourth year anyway. You're probably better off emailing the schools to find out any more specific info.

Prestige doesn't matter at all when applying for jobs in the UK! I think it's definitely a lot easier to get into Plymouth atm because the non medical uni has less prestige but the teaching is just as good at both. Have you been to either of the cities for an open day yet?

Either way you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it, we've all had a lot of fun in both campuses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Osces are easier I would say because the stations are split up, eg one station you take a history, the next you do an examination, etc. Whereas Isces are all together in one station (which i believe is more realistic and prepares you better). These are your "finals" and are done currently in fourth year. But I wouldn't base my choice of uni on just that and it might change again by the time you get to fourth year anyway. You're probably better off emailing the schools to find out any more specific info. Prestige doesn't matter at all when applying for jobs in the UK! I think it's definitely a lot easier to get into Plymouth atm because the non medical uni has less prestige but the teaching is just as good at both. Have you been to either of the cities for an open day yet? Either way you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it, we've all had a lot of fun in both campuses! Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually thought Plymouth would be easier to get into too but it turns out the applicant ratios work out to be around the same, 10 per place at plym and 11 per place at Exeter! So overall you'd say Plymouth then ? The only thing that I liked about Exeter were the sports and societies but I'm not really sure how much time I'd have to play sports or join lots of societies tbh 😅 And it seems like a bit of a pain to be on a completely separate campus Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to visit either of the uni's and I didn't get to go to any of the previous applicant days so I have no idea what the facilities are really like at either campus. Would you say they are better at Plymouth? (Btw thank you again for all your input!)
dandylion1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I actually thought Plymouth would be easier to get into too but it turns out the applicant ratios work out to be around the same, 10 per place at plym and 11 per place at Exeter! So overall you'd say Plymouth then ? The only thing that I liked about Exeter were the sports and societies but I'm not really sure how much time I'd have to play sports or join lots of societies tbh 😅 And it seems like a bit of a pain to be on a completely separate campus Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to visit either of the uni's and I didn't get to go to any of the previous applicant days so I have no idea what the facilities are really like at either campus. Would you say they are better at Plymouth? (Btw thank you again for all your input!)
Do you have acceptances through already also? If so then that doesn't really matter anyway, my bad.
I don't have experience with the sports side I'm afraid so can't help there. But you will definitely have time to join a few societies!
No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads