em221199
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, I've been studying AS level at one college, but for personal reasons I've decided to move to another to sit A2 (this isn't negotiable). If it's in any way possible, I would like to avoid redoing the 2 years of sixth form at my new college. I've been studying History (AQA), Literature (AQA), Sociology (AQA) which I will be sitting an AS exam in, and English Language (WJEC) which I will not be sitting an AS in. As I understand it, these are my options for next year if I don't want to do an extra year of college:

-Try and transfer my AS credits to another board (one college said they will look into this)
-Self teach the AS part of the linear course over summer then join A2 in September (my college of choice seemed to think this wouldn't be possible, but I'm predicted all A's and good at my subjects so I feel I have more chance than most at doing this successfully)
-Attend AS and A2 lessons at one college at the same time (one college has said this may be possible if I can prove I'm intelligent enough to manage an increased workload)

**Please bare in mind I would be picking up Sociology from A2 as normal as it's the same exam board. Also, I MUST do English Language, as I'm hoping to do Linguistics at uni and pursue a career in Speech and Language Therapy

So, what I'm asking, is whether anyone can advise me on the following:
-Does anyone have any experience of sitting AS and A2 in a year?
-Does anyone know whether it's still possible to transfer exam boards now A levels are linear?
-Any advice on convincing the college I'm capable of self-teaching over summer or taking both in a year?

Thanks so much to anyone who answers in advance!!
cbrand1806
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I sat Law AS and A2 in a year and it was fine, however, I did it at an external examination centre.

You'll have to ask the college you want to go to about the exam board transferring and convincing them that you can self-teach might be difficult. But I did it and found it easier if anything as you can work at your own pace. Just tell them all the experience you have in time management, perseverance, self-teaching in say hobbies etc. Create an argument for yourself and you'll be fine.

If not you could always do it externally like i did.
em221199
Rep:
?
Thankyou!! So if you don't mind me asking for you do other A levels at a college alongside self studying Law? It's just that one option I'd maybe consider is taking 2 subjects in college and a third externally as a private candidate if they'll allow me to do so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My friend did AS levels at our college and moved to another college for A2.

There were no problems. He just had to apply and explain to them that he wants to do his A2 year there.

Just transfer your credits and it will be alright.
cbrand1806
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I self-studied law alongside psychology and a Subsidiary diploma at college. I now just do the extended diploma as I obvs did the alevels in one year.

Who will allow you to do so? The college doesn't even need to know you're doing external exams and the external exams people can't really refuse, so i'm sure you'll be okay.
em221199
Rep:
?
That sounds like something I'd consider. And I just wasn't sure the college would allow me to do extra externally. Plus my parents are concerned about the effect self studying would have on my exams, even though I'm trying to convince them I think if anyone can do it in Language it's me since it's very much my area and I'm very determined about trying to do this in a year

Posted from TSR Mobile
cbrand1806
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll manage it fine. As long as you plan out what you need to get done to achieve the grade you want and stick to it, you can't go far wrong.

My advice would be to get a good revision guide and focus more on that than the actual studying. For Law I just learnt from the revision guide from april -june and got an A. Wouldn't recommend leaving it as late as I did or just doing the revision though haha.
em221199
Rep:
?
Thanks! If possible I'd like to start learning the content as soon as AS exams are over so I have plenty of time to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All of your subjects are linear and transferring AS credit from one board to another is not relevant for linear A levels. As you have to take the complete A level exams in one season for an A level which board you did the AS with is irrelevant. Your main problems will be;
  1. Does your new college offer these subjects?
  2. Does your new college have a timetable that allows you to study all these subjects (e.g. they may have English Language timetabled to happen at the same time as Sociology)?
  3. What are the differences in content between the boards the new college uses and the ones you have studied? You will need to catch up on any differences as you will be examined on the whole A level at the end of Year 13 and (for instance) the set books you studied at AS English lit may not be on the spec for the board you are now taking.

P.S. This is advice for England. Rules are different for Wales and NI.
em221199
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! If possible that's the route I would like to go down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
em221199
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice. The answers to your questions:

1. The new college offers all my subjects; I checked that before contacting them.

2. I do need to discuss timetabling issues further.

3. I'd be taking Sociology onto A2 at my new college, as well as History and English Language. History is totally different so I'll try and learn it over summer, but Language has some very similar sounding modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (79)
27.24%
England (97)
33.45%
Belgium (25)
8.62%
Germany (37)
12.76%
Spain (5)
1.72%