Can I handle an MSc in Computing and Security? Watch

kac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Update:
Some modules require AS maths, other require A2 maths. You will need an A grade in some of them!

Hello forum members,

I am about to complete a BSc (with honours) in Computer Science from Kingston University, this includes a paid year placement. I will without a doubt obtain a first.

Currently, I am working a paid part time Software Development and Security job for a company two days a week. I have also worked as a paid Teaching Assistant for my university part time over the last 2 years.

My question is: would I be able to handle an MSc in Computing & Security at King's College London? This course: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgradu...urity-msc.aspx

My project supervisor believes that I can handle one. I am worried because I found Kingston University too easy, but this may be from my strong background in the area?

Specially, what worries me is the level of maths, as I only achieved a C at GCSE maths (although I never did a resit), and I dropped AS Physics. Money and the workload is no issue as I will quit any jobs and 100% dedicate myself to this course.

Thank you in advance.
Stychomythia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kac)
Hello forum members,

I am about to complete a BSc (with honours) in Computer Science from Kingston University, this includes a paid year placement. I will without a doubt obtain a first.

Currently, I am working a paid part time Software Development and Security job for a company two days a week. I have also worked as a paid Teaching Assistant for my university part time over the last 2 years.

My question is: would I be able to handle an MSc in Computing & Security at King's College London? This course: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgradu...urity-msc.aspx

My project supervisor believes that I can handle one. I am worried because I found Kingston University too easy, but this may be from my strong background in the area?

Specially, what worries me is the level of maths, as I only achieved a C at GCSE maths (although I never did a resit), and I dropped AS Physics. Money and the workload is no issue as I will quit any jobs and 100% dedicate myself to this course.

Thank you in advance.
Your tutor has said you can do it.

You have already successfully dedicated yourself to a course with a strong maths basis and, if what you say is true, doing well in it.

You seem to have a clear idea of what you want.

On the basis of all these, I would say that the odds are clearly in favour of your being able to handle this MSc course. If you have questions about the maths, ask your tutor for his recommendations of maths books/courses to read in between finishing your finals and (I hope) starting at King's in September/October.

This is a very timely course at a very good university for it. I wish you the best of luck!
Mair18919
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The maths involved in cryptography is pretty advanced so why not look into how mathematical this course is?
There may be other alternative courses.
kac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Some modules require AS maths, other require A2 maths. You will need an A grade in some of them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (100)
16.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (63)
10.59%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (105)
17.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (90)
15.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (59)
9.92%
How can I be the best version of myself? (178)
29.92%

Watched Threads