The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Do you need any qualifications to become an MP?

I was just wondering do you need any qualifications to become an MP? Like GCSEs, A-levels, University degrees....And what subject do you need to study to become an MP?
I know that Cameron graduated from Oxbridge studying PPE.

"Boris Johnson is the only one of the four not to have read PPE at Oxford. The London mayor got a 2.1 in Classics from Balliol college, while his Bullingdon chum David Camerongot a First in PPE. When asked by Jeremy Paxman if he felt 'intellectually inferior' to the PM, Boris responded: “I would, if it wasn’t that his First was in PPE.”
Both David Miliband and Ed Balls received the highest degree class in the same subject from Oxford in the 80s."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationquestions/11045878/University-challenged-who-went-and-did-what.html?frame=3012146
Reply 2
To be become an MP? No… to get in a political ring? Probably. To get into government? You need to be a political ring and have qualifications.

Most MPs have university degrees, everyone in government does. MPs usually have ties to the party they serve through local council service, long time and active membership or knowing someone on the inside (which is what you need if you want to be landed in a safe seat) although having a degree isn't necessary.

To get into government/become a minister you'll need a degree for sure, you'll need also need a lot of connections, be in the right political rings and have strong loyalty to the party as a member and an MP
Reply 3
Original post by zayn008
To be become an MP? No… to get in a political ring? Probably. To get into government? You need to be a political ring and have qualifications.

Most MPs have university degrees, everyone in government does. MPs usually have ties to the party they serve through local council service, long time and active membership or knowing someone on the inside (which is what you need if you want to be landed in a safe seat) although having a degree isn't necessary.

To get into government/become a minister you'll need a degree for sure, you'll need also need a lot of connections, be in the right political rings and have strong loyalty to the party as a member and an MP

Which subject degrees would you need to be in the government?
Reply 4
No educational qualifications required.
Original post by The RAR
Which subject degrees would you need to be in the government?

Can be anything, thatcher studied chemistry, some studied history, classics etc.
Reply 6
My local MP just had an interest in politics and the local area - he didn't go to university, he went straight into the family business. BUT to get to a higher level (e.g. getting into government) I'd say you do need a degree. History and Law seem to be the most common subjects.
Reply 7
Would you need any GCSEs to get into the government?
No you just need £500 for an electoral deposit.
Plenty were lawyers before: see here
Having no Conscience, and being a crook helps.
No you don't. Jeremy Corbyn does not have a degree. Anyone can be a MP though you are more likely to win a constituency if you have been a local of that constituency for years, as you know the area's main concerns and grievances. It is becoming the norm to have a degree. My MP has a degree in economics followed by a diploma in industrial relations.
Original post by The RAR
I was just wondering do you need any qualifications to become an MP? Like GCSEs, A-levels, University degrees....And what subject do you need to study to become an MP?

I would like to represent close to me in times of trouble and in justice
Original post by The RAR

Jeremy Corbyn doesn't even have 3 A Levels.

And the 2 that he does have are grades of EE
corbyn has two A levels both E grade
Reply 15
Margret thatcher did not have a degree in politics. Instead she had a degree in chemistry.Then she got a degree in Law after 2 years.Wouldn't this change your reply?