self teaching the new 2017 maths a level in 1 year? Watch

saraleslie26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently looking to resit my a levels completely this year taking exams in 2018. I'm looking to do biology, chemistry and maths. I know that there are new specifications for biology and chemistry which I will be using and I was thinking I using the new specification for maths too as this will begin teaching from 2017. Is it possible for me to take the full new a level exams (all 3 papers) in June 2018 in maths?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by saraleslie26)
I'm currently looking to resit my a levels completely this year taking exams in 2018. I'm looking to do biology, chemistry and maths. I know that there are new specifications for biology and chemistry which I will be using and I was thinking I using the new specification for maths too as this will begin teaching from 2017. Is it possible for me to take the full new a level exams (all 3 papers) in June 2018 in maths?
No. I believe the first exams are going to be sat in 2019, hence there would be no exams that year for acceleration.

I would suggest self teaching the old spec to sit in 18. Or wait until 19...
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SeanFM)
No. I believe the first exams are going to be sat in 2019, hence there would be no exams that year for acceleration.

I would suggest self teaching the old spec to sit in 18. Or wait until 19...
No, the first assessment opportunity is 2018, for both the linear AS-level and A-level Maths specifications. (2018 for AS Further Maths and 2019 for A-level Further Maths)
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by saraleslie26)
_gcx is correct and it will be possible to sit the new specification A level maths exams in summer 2018, though not all schools/colleges teach a full A level maths in a single year so the number of centres offering the exams to private candidates may be limited.
However, Unless you need to resit all or most of the A level or are concerned you won't find a centre offering old specification resits it's not clear why you would do so. Would it not be easier to resit a few units to boost your grade?
1. The new specification contains a some new content in pure maths, increasing the workload and difficulty to some extent.
2. The new specification has mandatory mechanics and statistics content that you may not have studied before.
3. The style of some questions is supposed to change in line with the new assessment goals.
3. While the examiners are sure to produce practice papers there will be no past papers to guide your revision or grade boundaries you can use to assess your progress.
4. Published resources for the new specifications are not yet widely available (though you could certainly make a start using old resources for the previous specification)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (432)
67.61%
No (207)
32.39%

Watched Threads