The Student Room Group

Anyone know what piano grade this would be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQf5lcnj_o

I've got no previous history on piano and have self taught up to the 1:04 mark. My friend told me it was one of the hardest pieces he's seen and said it would be about grade 7 but it looks harder. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by Dark768

I've got no previous history on piano and have self taught up to the 1:04 mark. My friend told me it was one of the hardest pieces he's seen and said it would be about grade 7 but it looks harder. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Looks more like Grade 8+ to me. Not something for a beginner.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Looks more like Grade 8+ to me. Not something for a beginner.

Oh really? Damn. I've taught myself up to 1:04 at a decent standard I reckon and it hasn't been too difficult so far. Apparently the hand jumps around the 0:35 mark is one of the hardest parts but I found it manageable. Hopefully I can learn the rest :biggrin:

Thanks for the response :biggrin:
Original post by Dark768
Oh really? Damn. I've taught myself up to 1:04 at a decent standard I reckon and it hasn't been too difficult so far. Apparently the hand jumps around the 0:35 mark is one of the hardest parts but I found it manageable. Hopefully I can learn the rest :biggrin:

Thanks for the response :biggrin:

No probs. Do you do any other pieces which are closer to your current level at all?
Reply 4
No probs. Do you do any other pieces which are closer to your current level at all?

I self taught myself around June last year and learnt a few pieces like river flows in you and Nuvole Bianche. I don't really know any techniques, I just watch the hand movements and mimic them haha. I also know a few easy versions of songs like fur elise and canon in D. Really want to learn this song after watching the Tokyo ghoul anime :biggrin:
Original post by Dark768
I self taught myself around June last year and learnt a few pieces like river flows in you and Nuvole Bianche. I don't really know any techniques, I just watch the hand movements and mimic them haha. I also know a few easy versions of songs like fur elise and canon in D. Really want to learn this song after watching the Tokyo ghoul anime :biggrin:

Fair enough - you obviously must have some talent and a good ear if you can play these things by mimicry. Can you read music?
Reply 6
Fair enough - you obviously must have some talent and a good ear if you can play these things by mimicry. Can you read music?

My dad plays guitar really well and my younger sister can play piano to grade 4 (she's in year 9) so I guess it runs in the family haha. I tried learning to read sheet music but gave up lol and just look at hand movements and synthesia tutorials on youtube when learning pieces.
Original post by Dark768

It's very virtuosic. I'd say it's at the level of one of the diplomas.

I'm very impressed that you were able to play up to 1:04, given your limited piano experience. Have you considered learning an easier arrangement or simplifying his version yourself? It can be very satisfying playing popular music you know.
Reply 8
Definitely not that standard. As a music teacher I would say river flows in you is around grade 3/4 and Nuvole Bianche would be 5 at the most. There’s a lot of repetition and building on themes. That doesn’t happen grade 6 and above. It’s long but not difficult when you can site read and learn by ear

Quick Reply

Latest