Report Thread starter 2 years ago
is a biochemistry degree useless
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uka_qwer)
And another one of these! There are loads of debates on here about this so go ahead and have a search through the forum. All I'm going to say is it really depends on what you want to go on to do with it. Any degree will give you a load of transferable skills so if you want to do a job that just requires a degree do one that interests you. Biochem is intense so if you don't enjoy it don't do it. If you plan to go into science or research then you need a basic degree and biochem is one of them.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pharma companies are often gripping that there is a shortage of biochemists in the U.K. So you won't struggle to get a job if you wish to work as a biochemist.
afife
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend did biochemistry then medicine so there's always that option.
Antonia Jane
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
And another one of these! There are loads of debates on here about this so go ahead and have a search through the forum. All I'm going to say is it really depends on what you want to go on to do with it. Any degree will give you a load of transferable skills so if you want to do a job that just requires a degree do one that interests you. Biochem is intense so if you don't enjoy it don't do it. If you plan to go into science or research then you need a basic degree and biochem is one of them.
Sorry to bother you! I'm the mother of a son who can't decide between pharmacy and biochemistry. He does not want to stand all day dispensing prescriptions! He speaks 3 languages and loves chemistry. He already has an A* in Spanish & is predicted A* Marine Science, A Biology, A Chemistry. Unfortunately maths is not his subject - he got an A at GCSE - started A level maths & lost the will to live after two months! We are very concerned about the lack of job prospects in pharmacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Antonia Jane
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uka_qwer)
is a biochemistry degree useless
My son's options are a degree in Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences or Pharmacy. He has never wanted to be a Doctor anymore than he has wanted to dish out pills! We live in Spain where they have a lot less degree options. Biochem/Biomed is 4 years. Pharmacy is 5 years. He loves chemistry but not keen on genetics. Maths isn't his thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Antonia Jane
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry! Another question. Which is better - a degree in Biochemistry or a degree in Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences. The latter is not a double degree. Both are 4 years. Thanks! From living in Spain!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ExamLeak
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Antonia Jane)
Sorry! Another question. Which is better - a degree in Biochemistry or a degree in Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences. The latter is not a double degree. Both are 4 years. Thanks! From living in Spain!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of content they are both similar, biomedical science gravitates to biology whereas biochem gravitates towards chemistry.

Both have many job prospects, biochem arguably has more. What you need to find out is what he actually wants to do:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...e/biochemistry

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...dical-sciences

Please do more research on the subjects before you ask on here it saves us time and we can help you with information that is less available online. Thanks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Useless for what?

For doing a PhD in biomolecular and cellular sciences? Quite the opposite.

For a career in underwater basket weaving? Fairly.
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just asked 2nd year Biochemistry student son and he gave me a funny look and said 'No!'. Mind you, he hasn't actually tried to do anything with it yet. There is always the possibility that he has secretly set his sights on underwater basket weaving, of course, and will be terribly disappointed, but I rather think he has further academic study or a career in the pharmaceutical industry in mind.

Why would Biochemistry be any more 'useless' than any other science degree?
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well that depends on what you want to do with it...
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biochemistry underpins a lot of molecular genetics stuff, so if he doesn't like nucelotides and proteins he'll probably dislike biochemistry. Proteins especially. So many proteins. I have no idea what options there are there, but Pharmacology may be of interest; it's not a "professional" degree like pharmacy, which focuses on the clinically relevant aspects of pharmacology and drugs to dispensing, but considers the underlying science behind how drugs work and how they are designed etc.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As has previously being alluded to, it's a null question without knowing what career is wanted out of it.
Antonia Jane
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TraineeBMS)
As has previously being alluded to, it's a null question without knowing what career is wanted out of it.
My son wants to work in public health/world health organisation. He is hoping to do a degree in pharmacy and get in that way. Or, environmental sciences. He has now ruled out biochem. Chemistry and languages are his strengh. Any views?! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Antonia Jane)
My son wants to work in public health/world health organisation. He is hoping to do a degree in pharmacy and get in that way. Or, environmental sciences. He has now ruled out biochem. Chemistry and languages are his strengh. Any views?! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are many role within PHE and WHO. A role needs to be specified otherwise it's akin to saying you want to work for the UK government with its million fields.
Antonia Jane
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TraineeBMS)
There are many role within PHE and WHO. A role needs to be specified otherwise it's akin to saying you want to work for the UK government with its million fields.
Thanks! I totally understand where you are coming from. He's only 17. At the moment he is into prevention rather than cure and in general terms he is interested in public health e.g. A public health officer.
We live in Spain. He wants to do Pharmacy because it is a peofessional degree. Also the degree is a recognised European degree. Not just a degree from a Spanish university. There are 208 places but only the top 30 can do it in English. It is called Groupo ARA for the high academic achievers. With an A* banked and predicted A* A A he should get accepted into the highe achievers group. Basically, he didn't want to study in the UK and Pharmacy is the best of the science degree that gives him transferable skills. I hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads