Lauren.brown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am thinking about possibly studying geography at university but I don't know what work experience would be good for my personal statement. Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lauren.brown)
I am thinking about possibly studying geography at university but I don't know what work experience would be good for my personal statement. Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Work experience isn't something that's really looked for in a geography application, as universities know that experience directly related to geography is difficult to find. It may be beneficial to try and do a work placement with the British Geological Survey or something related to the environment, and then relate the skills you learn to your application. Overall though, I'd say it's better to be able to demonstrate your enthusiasm for and interest in geography rather than trying to find work experience for it, so as long as you can do those things then you shouldn't have any real problems
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lauren.brown)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst work experience can be a really good experience for you personally, it isn't needed to get into a Geography course at university (and realistically speaking, probably isn't going to make a huge difference to your application) - so there is no need to get stressed about it!

In terms of where to look, a good first port of call is seeing if there are any family friends who work for organisations that are geography-related, e.g. environmental consultancy, city planning, conservation, GIS, etc. Definitely have a look at the resources that the Royal Geographical Society has - I'm not sure if they actually offer work experience, but in terms of the career and exploration-related resources they have, they are genuinely outstanding. If there are any local universities, maybe send an email to the undergraduate tutor/someone who looks friendly and ask if you can do a work shadowing placement or something like that (I did that at UCL and it was good fun).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads