How hard is it, to get a grade 8 (and above) in the new 2017 GCSE exams?

Watch
Rueben_DelMonica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I'm taking GCSE English language and literature in the summer, where the grades will be from 1-9. I have gotten a grade 6 in both, in recent mocks - but I really want to be able to get, potentially, grade 8 in both. I am wondering, if you managed to get a grade 8/9 in the mocks, how hard was it? And if possible, how many marks did you get? i got 60/80 in Language paper 2 (grade 6), and 48/60 in Literature Paper paper 2.

Thanks for reading, it would be great to hear from anyone
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rueben_DelMonica)
Hello,

I'm taking GCSE English language and literature in the summer, where the grades will be from 1-9. I have gotten a grade 6 in both, in recent mocks - but I really want to be able to get, potentially, grade 8 in both. I am wondering, if you managed to get a grade 8/9 in the mocks, how hard was it? And if possible, how many marks did you get? i got 60/80 in Language paper 2 (grade 6), and 48/60 in Literature Paper paper 2.

In theory, around as difficult as achieving an A* in the previous spec, albeit with harder exams.
geidiprimes
Badges: 12
Report 3 years ago
i think it is really easy tbh. the grade boundaries will literally be chilling at the earth's core. i got 2 7's for recent mocks (68/70 and 66/80) which is meh. i am aiming for a 9 for english lit and an 8 for eng language. this year it won't take much to wow the examiners. for english language, learn all the techniques and i don't mean the basics like 'simile, imagery' i mean sibilance and all sorts of things. also, never ever say 'this show...' or 'this word...', make sure u NAME the word. is it a verb? proper pronoun? abstract noun? is the sentence a complex sentence? compound? what type of conjuctions are used? all this and more will allow you to access 7+ for english language.

as for english literature, do the MOST. for the poetry sections, i made very extensive notes for each poem. with links such as the romantic movement, greek philosophy, etc etc. i could go more in depth but i don't know what you know or don't know. feel free to message me if you need any help idk, i am planning to take a level english lit so thats why i am aiming high

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE_STRESS1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wrldprincezsz)
i think it is really easy tbh. the grade boundaries will literally be chilling at the earth's core. i got 2 7's for recent mocks (68/70 and 66/80) which is meh. i am aiming for a 9 for english lit and an 8 for eng language. this year it won't take much to wow the examiners. for english language, learn all the techniques and i don't mean the basics like 'simile, imagery' i mean sibilance and all sorts of things. also, never ever say 'this show...' or 'this word...', make sure u NAME the word. is it a verb? proper pronoun? abstract noun? is the sentence a complex sentence? compound? what type of conjuctions are used? all this and more will allow you to access 7+ for english language.

as for english literature, do the MOST. for the poetry sections, i made very extensive notes for each poem. with links such as the romantic movement, greek philosophy, etc etc. i could go more in depth but i don't know what you know or don't know. feel free to message me if you need any help idk, i am planning to take a level english lit so thats why i am aiming high

Posted from TSR Mobile
woww ur an expert at english. can u pm me for tips on getting 7 8 and 9's.
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bear in mind that the grades you're getting in class may be completely inaccurate since teachers have no idea what the grade boundaries will be.
I got 71/80 in Lang Paper 1 and 2 when I first did mocks, and when we did another paper 2 I got 60/80. I'm so scared that I won't perform to my maximum potential in the real exam.
sadiadventures
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rueben_DelMonica)
Hello,

Hey, I got 9's in Maths, English Lit (full marks ), and English Lang. My advice to you is as follows:

-For maths, watch Mathswatch/Youtube videos on topics you find difficult, then complete a handful of practice questions. I normally manage to do half an hour every morning (with my breakfast)
-For Lit, I have a folder that contains explored quotes for each character and theme, as well as the context, and the general mark scheme
-For Language, use the mark scheme! It also helps to read wide and often; I frequently read the Guardian Online. Also, look at model Grade 8/9 answers, and actively annotate them.

Good luck!
liverpoolfc2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sadiadventures)
Hey, I got 9's in Maths, English Lit (full marks ), and English Lang. My advice to you is as follows:

-For maths, watch Mathswatch/Youtube videos on topics you find difficult, then complete a handful of practice questions. I normally manage to do half an hour every morning (with my breakfast)
-For Lit, I have a folder that contains explored quotes for each character and theme, as well as the context, and the general mark scheme
-For Language, use the mark scheme! It also helps to read wide and often; I frequently read the Guardian Online. Also, look at model Grade 8/9 answers, and actively annotate them.

Good luck!
omg thats amazing you must work hard! good luck! could you possibly help me and tell me where do you find the grade 8/9 model answers for language, thanks so much
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wrldprincezsz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
well said!
Unknown468
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The new grades are based on how you do compared to everyone else taking the gcse that year. Only the top 2% get a grade 9

Posted from TSR Mobile
sadiadventures
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by liverpoolfc2)
omg thats amazing you must work hard! good luck! could you possibly help me and tell me where do you find the grade 8/9 model answers for language, thanks so much
Hi! My friend had a CGP revision guide. I thought buying one for Language would be a waste of money, but they have Grade 8/9 exemplar answers, so I asked her to photocopy them for me
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Idk but for maths one of my friends, got a Level 9 in the mocks he got 100% across three papers (well one 99%), they had to have his papers moderated because they weren't convinced and his scores were genuine.
my g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what are the techniques for getting a grade 8 and 9 in english language and literature
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by my g)
what are the techniques for getting a grade 8 and 9 in english language and literature
I really want to know this too, the most I can get is a low 7
studiousninja
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! My friend had a CGP revision guide. I thought buying one for Language would be a waste of money, but they have Grade 8/9 exemplar answers, so I asked her to photocopy them for me
Hey would you mind messaging them to me too? Thank you so much
my g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
would you mind sending me them too
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guys I have a revision guide, but dont know how to photocopy, is that the scan option on the printer?
studiousninja
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Popsiclez)
Guys I have a revision guide, but dont know how to photocopy, is that the scan option on the printer?
You put the revision guide in your printer and then scan will upload it to your computer or copy with photocopy it and print out a copy. That's just very general but I hope it helps
Tadpol89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Welp, in my mocks I only achieved level 5 in both English literature and language. I honestly believe it's due to my writing style. Any tips or help to help me aim higher? I just want a 6 tbh..
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Good luck!
What grade boundaries were you given for English Literature paper 2?
Lena2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tadpol89)
Welp, in my mocks I only achieved level 5 in both English literature and language. I honestly believe it's due to my writing style. Any tips or help to help me aim higher? I just want a 6 tbh..
I'm really poor in English Language, I got a 3+ in my mocks for paper 1 and 2. I have my final English language GCSE exams in about 3 weeks. I fear that I am not going to do well, and I don't have much time to improve. I really want a grade 6, but it seems so impossible. D:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed