17aimanl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,
I've made Bath my firm choice for Chemical Engineering. Can someone explain to me the difference between a single room and a shared room? I know from the name it seems self explanatory but I cannot find a photo of a shared room on the accommodation site. Does it mean I will share a room with someone? Thanks in advance.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 17aimanl)
Hi all,
I've made Bath my firm choice for Chemical Engineering. Can someone explain to me the difference between a single room and a shared room? I know from the name it seems self explanatory but I cannot find a photo of a shared room on the accommodation site. Does it mean I will share a room with someone? Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. Yes, so a shared room means that you'll be living with a roommate. I had a single room in my first year, but I've had a look at some shared rooms. They're obviously much larger and you each have your own space, with your own desk, bed and wardrobe. It's significantly cheaper getting a shared room but I guess the downside is having to living in such proximity with someone you don't yet know.

Hope that helps! If you've got any more questions just quote me.

Tim
17aimanl
Rep:
?
(Original post by University Of Bath)
Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. Yes, so a shared room means that you'll be living with a roommate. I had a single room in my first year, but I've had a look at some shared rooms. They're obviously much larger and you each have your own space, with your own desk, bed and wardrobe. It's significantly cheaper getting a shared room but I guess the downside is having to living in such proximity with someone you don't yet know.

Hope that helps! If you've got any more questions just quote me.

Tim
Hey Tim, Thanks for clarifying!
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey Tim, Thanks for clarifying!
Hi there,

My name's Chris, a second year CS student at Bath. Just to add to what Tim has already said, if nothing has changed since my first year, the options for normal shared accommodation tend to be in Woodland Court, which offers both shared and normal rooms, so don't let this put you off the building entirely. From personal experience they do tend to be larger rooms, and the ones for shared accommodation are understandably larger than the normal rooms.

There is also a shared option for couples if that interests you. More details can be found here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/choo...ation-options/

Let me know if you need anything else clarifying!

Chris
17aimanl
Rep:
?
Hi there,

My name's Chris, a second year CS student at Bath. Just to add to what Tim has already said, if nothing has changed since my first year, the options for normal shared accommodation tend to be in Woodland Court, which offers both shared and normal rooms, so don't let this put you off the building entirely. From personal experience they do tend to be larger rooms, and the ones for shared accommodation are understandably larger than the normal rooms.

There is also a shared option for couples if that interests you. More details can be found here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/choo...ation-options/

Let me know if you need anything else clarifying!

Chris
Hey Chris, Thanks a lot! My parents are keen on getting me the shared rooms because they are significantly cheaper than the single rooms. Would you say that the single rooms are worth their cost though? Thanks again. Aiman
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey Chris, Thanks a lot! My parents are keen on getting me the shared rooms because they are significantly cheaper than the single rooms. Would you say that the single rooms are worth their cost though? Thanks again. Aiman
Hi Aiman,

Sorry that you are getting replies from different people, I figured that you would prefer a response sooner rather than later!

Firstly, congratulations on making Bath your firm choice! You are correct that shared rooms are significantly cheaper, this is of course something that suits students differently. If you feel that you would be ok to share a room, then sharing is definitely worth considering as it would save yourself and your parents a lot of money.

Personally, I had an individual room and I appreciated the ability to be on my own if I wished. Having said that, sharing is something that you certainly get used to. Many of my friends studied at boarding school since they were young, and I have only ever heard positive stories about their shared bedrooms.

I think you need to consider your personality also when it comes to shared rooms. If you are a bit confrontational, and prefer things doing your way, sharing may not be a good idea. To me, I think you need to be very chilled out and easy to get along with!

So answering your question, to some students an individual room is worth every penny. Others feel equally happy in a shared room, for considerably less money, so why not!

Sorry to not give you a definite answer, but it really is a personal choice!

Hayden
17aimanl
Rep:
?
Hi Aiman,

Sorry that you are getting replies from different people, I figured that you would prefer a response sooner rather than later!

Firstly, congratulations on making Bath your firm choice! You are correct that shared rooms are significantly cheaper, this is of course something that suits students differently. If you feel that you would be ok to share a room, then sharing is definitely worth considering as it would save yourself and your parents a lot of money.

Personally, I had an individual room and I appreciated the ability to be on my own if I wished. Having said that, sharing is something that you certainly get used to. Many of my friends studied at boarding school since they were young, and I have only ever heard positive stories about their shared bedrooms.

I think you need to consider your personality also when it comes to shared rooms. If you are a bit confrontational, and prefer things doing your way, sharing may not be a good idea. To me, I think you need to be very chilled out and easy to get along with!

So answering your question, to some students an individual room is worth every penny. Others feel equally happy in a shared room, for considerably less money, so why not!

Hayden
Hi Hayden, Please don't apologise! This was extremely helpful and will help me consider different things when I choose my accommodation. Thank you so much - all the Bath representatives have been so kind and helpful!! Aiman
17aimanl
Rep:
?
Hi Aiman,

Hayden
Hi Hayden, I actually had another question - would students need to move out during Christmas holidays? Thanks. Aiman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm staying in Eastwood (single room myself though) and there's one shared room here, the rooms are already pretty big so there's plenty of space in the shared room, and it does happen to be significantly cheaper (£2300 as opposed to £3500, will likely be different for different years ofc and my contract is one where I need to go back at Easter but yeah). If you don't mind sharing personal space and bedroom with someone else it's pretty okay, if you're not in your room a lot and like spending time in kitchen/social places and library, restaurants, etc. then it probably wouldn't make too much difference. Would recommend it if money is something that concerns you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, students don't have to move out in Christmas, or at least this year they didn't. My contract means I have to move out for Easter, but that's only for a few (eight out of fifty one?) houses in Eastwood, and even then we could stay over Christmas if we wanted. Pretty sure it was the same everywhere else.
17aimanl
Rep:
?
(Original post by 430)
I'm staying in Eastwood (single room myself though) and there's one shared room here, the rooms are already pretty big so there's plenty of space in the shared room, and it does happen to be significantly cheaper (£2300 as opposed to £3500, will likely be different for different years ofc and my contract is one where I need to go back at Easter but yeah). If you don't mind sharing personal space and bedroom with someone else it's pretty okay, if you're not in your room a lot and like spending time in kitchen/social places and library, restaurants, etc. then it probably wouldn't make too much difference. Would recommend it if money is something that concerns you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, students don't have to move out in Christmas, or at least this year they didn't. My contract means I have to move out for Easter, but that's only for a few (eight out of fifty one?) houses in Eastwood, and even then we could stay over Christmas if we wanted. Pretty sure it was the same everywhere else.
Hey, This was really helpful. Thank you so much. I was just quite concerned about that whole moving out situation because I live in Malaysia and have no family in the UK apart from a few family friends in London, but even then its quite uncertain if they're there. Thanks again. Aiman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, This was really helpful. Thank you so much. I was just quite concerned about that whole moving out situation because I live in Malaysia and have no family in the UK apart from a few family friends in London, but even then its quite uncertain if they're there. Thanks again. Aiman
No problem! One thing I would say is that it does differ a lot per roommate, everyone in my flat gets on really well so they don't really mind sharing rooms, I'm not sure how other ones work, but yeah it is quite a bit cheaper. Depends whether you're willing to take the risk I guess since you do save a lot of money.

I remember there were some activities organised over Christmas too (I was keen to go back home so I didn't stay to see what they were), but I'm not quite sure how many people stay over, but there is certainly some things happening.

Hopefully someone who's been in a shared room and also someone who's stayed over Christmas sees this thread so they can give a better idea than my limited experience :P
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Hayden, I actually had another question - would students need to move out during Christmas holidays? Thanks. Aiman
Hi there!

Apologies again for the inconsistency - Chris here. We all have access to the account on different days hence the difference in who replies!

I know a lot of international students stayed over the Christmas holidays when I was in first year - I'm sure this is something the university hasn't changed since. They recognise the fact that some students find it hard or impossible to go home for whatever reason during these times. They also run events over the Xmas and New Year period to allow you to meet new people. I know a lot of friendships are made this way.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Chris
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.5%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.58%

Watched Threads