frostfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm considering to apply for either Business Administration at University of Bath or Business Management at University of Exeter.

I get the impression that Bath is more well-regarded by employers, so it's a more prestigious university for Business (#2 on CUG), and there is wider range of modules to choose from. However, Exeter is more lenient with the entry requirement (AAA-AAB compared to AAA for Bath, with no GCSE requirements), and it awards £1000 Progression Scholarship to graduates who wish to take a Master degree (which I do). Exeter is also a generally cheaper city to live in. Both courses offer a year in the industry, have a high student satisfaction and excellent graduate prospects.

Which university is the better option?
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've done BSc Medical science at Exeter and currently on a Masters at Bath....not quite business, but I have some idea of their course (from a few people I knew on them) and a much better idea of living situation. Feel free to ask any specific questions in a PM or on here, happy to try and answer anything I can
frostfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuentinM)
I've done BSc Medical science at Exeter and currently on a Masters at Bath....not quite business, but I have some idea of their course (from a few people I knew on them) and a much better idea of living situation. Feel free to ask any specific questions in a PM or on here, happy to try and answer anything I can
Hi, thanks for your response!

Can I ask, when you applied for your Masters at Bath, did you have an interview in the application process?

I also noticed that we achieved exactly the same GCSE grades! ^.^
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by honour)
Hi, thanks for your response!

Can I ask, when you applied for your Masters at Bath, did you have an interview in the application process?

I also noticed that we achieved exactly the same GCSE grades! ^.^

For my Masters degree no, i didn't get an interview, but i think this is common for masters students in general. Equally i didnt have an interview for my Bachelors at Exeter, but again, weirder circumstances as I applied for a different course.

I realised you brought up a few things in your initial post, so I'll elaborate on some of them from my experience:

LIVING COSTS-are higher in Bath, and i've found its mainly rent, which is 50% more than what I had to pay in Exeter. Oh, and for worse housing-lord knows what i would be paying if i got a house that matched my old Exeter houses. Equally, Bath is generally a larger city, and has a massive hill on the way up to uni, so you will probably be getting a bus. Or become a world class athlete walking up that hill every day in second/third year. Food wise and going out, i dont see a big difference tbh.

COURSE-One thing thats a bit weird about Bath is you actually technically have more modules than in Exeter each year (10x6 credit modules totalling 60 each year, vs 8x 15 credit modules in Exeter totalling 120 each year), which means more exams, more coursework, and a bit more learning. Doesn't mean you'll get a walk in the park at Exeter though, bear in mind.

CAMPUS-Exeter's campus is bigger, and overall I prefer it for all the mix of some of the older buildings, nice quiet areas (Reed pond.... <3 )....the Business building is also quite new too. Bath is smaller, less modern....this does mean less walking around the place though. Bear in mind the library in Bath is also one of the smallest University libraries in the UK...thankfully, other study spaces are available which make up for this, to a degree.

PLACEMENT YEAR-virtually a must in Bath, whereas in Exeter its up to you iirc. Probably why Bath is more prestigious in those rankings.

Let me know if you get any more specific queries.
frostfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuentinM)
For my Masters degree no, i didn't get an interview, but i think this is common for masters students in general. Equally i didnt have an interview for my Bachelors at Exeter, but again, weirder circumstances as I applied for a different course.

I realised you brought up a few things in your initial post, so I'll elaborate on some of them from my experience:

LIVING COSTS-are higher in Bath, and i've found its mainly rent, which is 50% more than what I had to pay in Exeter. Oh, and for worse housing-lord knows what i would be paying if i got a house that matched my old Exeter houses. Equally, Bath is generally a larger city, and has a massive hill on the way up to uni, so you will probably be getting a bus. Or become a world class athlete walking up that hill every day in second/third year. Food wise and going out, i dont see a big difference tbh.

COURSE-One thing thats a bit weird about Bath is you actually technically have more modules than in Exeter each year (10x6 credit modules totalling 60 each year, vs 8x 15 credit modules in Exeter totalling 120 each year), which means more exams, more coursework, and a bit more learning. Doesn't mean you'll get a walk in the park at Exeter though, bear in mind.

CAMPUS-Exeter's campus is bigger, and overall I prefer it for all the mix of some of the older buildings, nice quiet areas (Reed pond.... <3 )....the Business building is also quite new too. Bath is smaller, less modern....this does mean less walking around the place though. Bear in mind the library in Bath is also one of the smallest University libraries in the UK...thankfully, other study spaces are available which make up for this, to a degree.

PLACEMENT YEAR-virtually a must in Bath, whereas in Exeter its up to you iirc. Probably why Bath is more prestigious in those rankings.

Let me know if you get any more specific queries.
Thanks ever so much, Quentin, this has been very helpful!
Maxi_mum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey guys I have the same exact problem. I received offers from Bath and Exeter (International Business Management), deciding turns out to be quite hard
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maxi_mum)
Hey guys I have the same exact problem. I received offers from Bath and Exeter (International Business Management), deciding turns out to be quite hard
Let me know if you have any specific questions that dont relate to management (probably just throw them in there in case i can answer). Happy to give deets on the city, campus, living, etc etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed