Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Any advice, comments or experience on this topic would be immensely helpful.

I'm a 25 year old BA Languages Grad (2:1) (2010-2014), now considering starting the path to Med School.

-------------------------
    BACK STORY (feel free to skip to question below)

I had no idea what career I wanted to do when at School, none whatsoever, but enjoyed and had an aptitude for languages, so did languages at Uni (2010-2014) at Birmingham, got a 2:1. The plan was then just to 'do something with languages' but after I tried both teaching and translating, I realized neither of these were careers interested me and although I love my languages, I don't want to career focused around them. At which point a sense of 'I've just wasted 5 years of my life and my student finance access'-dread flooded my lungs.

I then decided to try a career in Finance, I'm currently 18 months into a grad scheme at one of the Big Four, half ACA qualified, and although I'm learning a lot, I've tried sticking it out and again, it's not for me.

I've done a lot of soul searching, thinking, had counselling, and really worked myself up over what I want from life this past year, and I've now came to the realisation that I want to try Medicine. Why? The only job I haven't hated in the past was teaching, why? I felt like I was contributing to humanity, making the world a better place, and I was respected, my students grew from my teaching, and it gave me moral fulfilment. Now in finance, it's the opposite, I don't morally agree with a lot of the work I'm made to do and it's killing my soul. But teaching just isn't challenging enough for me, after just 6 months teaching I was bored and couldn't bare to do another year of the exact same, so definitely don't want to do this.

I lost my father earlier this year, he was fell very sick whilst in the USA and almost died, but his fantastic medical team over there did the impossible and managed to get him well enough to travel back to the UK, right before my eyes I watched them tirelessly essentially perform this 'miracle' and ensure he was able to come home and be relatively comfortable surrounded by his family and back in his homeland to pass away. This massive life shock really struck a cord with me, and for the first time in my life, I considered, maybe I want to be a doctor. The thought had never even crossed my mind before, I went to a pretty awful school where if you were predicted to get a C in GCSE English & Maths then you were put aside and left to your own devices, so talk of doing all the necessary prep to do Medicine was never spoken about.

Since this awful incident, I just can't get the idea of Med School out of my head. Now that I've done a degree and tried a few careers, I now have a clearer idea about what I want from a career and life that I just didn't have aged 16. I wish I had a time machine, but I don't. But 25 isn't old my any means, and I really think I want to give this ago, otherwise I'll regret it. I at least want to try, I may not have the ability to do Medicine, I'm under no illusions I'm aware it's an extremely difficult subject and many of the best and brightest fail and can't manage, but I want to give it a go.

----------------

QUESTION:

How can a non-science BA Graduate realistically get into Medicine?

GCSEs: 1 A* (Science (Double Award)), 8 x A
    A-Levels: French (A), Economics (A), Politics (C)
    Degree: BA Languages (2:1)
    Professional: Half-ACA Qualified Accountant

Options:
    1) Doing either an Access to Medicine (Foundation Degree) 1 year course which is a route for those without Science A-Levels who want to apply to normal Undergrad Medicine, either tacked on to a med degree or a standalone one to try it out first.

2) Applying straight to a GEM Course which accepts non-science Grads (concern that no science degree or even A-Levels though might make this extremely difficult - but this route offers access to Student Finance which would make it more feasible as my savings are minimal)

3) Sitting Biology and Chemistry A-Levels from scratch and then applying to normal Undergrad Medicine (but many courses seem to specify that all A-Levels being used for applications must have been sat in a 2 year period, which obviously wouldn't apply here) - issue here would be finance again, no student finance available to normal undergrad courses for me.

Would my ACA be taken into consideration and help me with my application? Is it worth staying with my current employer for another 18 months to get it finished? Would it help my application as another qualification?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm willing to consider doing anything to make this happen. Please advise.

ReputationRep:
    I am a gem applicant from an arts background. Have four interviews this cycle, so it's definitely possible.

I don't think your ACA will effect your application tbh. But a 2.1 is a good enough starting point. The biggest challenge for arts applicants are the entrance exams, the majority require the gamsat which has a significant amount of science content at a-level+ standard. So preparation for this should be at the forefront. The next gamsat is in September which is enough time to prepare if you start now. The ukcat is another option and requires significantly less prep than the gamsat but is used by fewer universities (for courses eligible for arts grads). There are a number of universities eligible for arts grads with no prior science qualifications (Warwick, Swansea, Nottingham, st Georges and a couple of others iirc).

Whilst your experience has shocked you into a career of medicine it is of high importance, both personally and for your application, that you get some good work experience under your belt. This ranges from shadowing doctors, working as a HCA in a hospital or care home, to working with people with disabilities and/or learning difficulties, and other relevant experiences. With this a long term commitment is typically more favoured (a few hours per week for months or years, typically trumps one to two weeks of full-time shadowing). This will allow you to see the profession in a more realistic light.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your reply!
    Are you currently now applying for a place or are you already studying on a GEM course? It would be great to have someone to talk to about all this who's in the same boat if you didn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midlandic_boy)
    Thanks so much for your reply!
    Are you currently now applying for a place or are you already studying on a GEM course? It would be great to have someone to talk to about all this who's in the same boat if you didn't mind.
    This is my third year applying. Firs two years I fell short on the entrance exams. Not currently on a GEM course, no. Feel free to send me a message if you have any further questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,I'm finding this thread pretty much a year on from where you left off - but feeling very much in the same boat. Our experiences differ slightly but the end result is the same - office life isn't for me and a career in medicine is really what I want to achieve.I was wondering, 12 months later, did you find a viable way into medicine? I've been researching for the last few months and there are so many different options for routes in, as well as funding methods, I'm left feeling a bit confused as to which one really is the best! Any help/advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Wishing you all the luck for your studies!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.