HELP!!!!!! comparing wuthering heights to the great gatsby Watch

Jollyjules1320
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
this is an as level essay question: explore the view male characters are presented as those who dominate in the novels.
i was wondering if anyone had an idea of an opposing view to this and if they could explain it, that would be great. thank you!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
efemel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the two biggest similarities:
gatsby is rich and powerful, but his main motivation is daisy. heathcliff runs away and makes his mysterious fortune but only after he overhears catherine say she would never marry him, because she considers him to be beneath her socially. women = main motivation in both books for the men. catherine uses her illness to manipulate edgar, she is fully aware of her influence.

WH:
-nelly is the main narrator so her words dominate, she can represent the men however she chooses. compare this to the 2nd narrator lockwood who is represented as a pompous FOOL
-representation of both catherines. strong, vivacious. key passage for catherine 1 = when her and heathcliff run barefoot towards the linton house then she is attacked by the dog. key passage for catherine 2 = description of her and linton's dreams..
He wanted all to lie in an ecstasy of peace; I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. I said his heaven would be only half alive; and he said mine would be drunk: I said I should fall asleep in his; and he said he could not breathe in mine
-catherine 2 vs hareton, she makes fun of him for being inferior in education
-even though men obvi dominate a lot, the representation of such strong-willed women is arguably more ahead of its time than GG? even tho men may be dominating in the novel the writer in rl is super kwl lass emily bronte so who's the real winner here x

GG:
-even though tom uses myrtle for sex, it could be considered a mutual exploitation as she gains expensive gifts from him.
-nick can be timid sometimes and jordan seems quite strong-willed? idk, having trouble thinking of some points off the top of my head for this one bc team WH all the way x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads