ruby118
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please can someone send me an example of an A* descriptive writing piece from the english language paper?? Or some sophisticated vocab words with the definitions? I have a mock tomorrow
cameronthebigman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
gtgtg

ff

Longest word in English
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The identity of the longest word in English depends upon the definition of what constitutes a word in the English language, as well as how length should be compared. In addition to words derived naturally from the language's roots (without any known intentional invention), English allows new words to be formed by coinage and construction; place names may be considered words; technical terms may be arbitrarily long. Length may be understood in terms of orthography and number of written letters, or (less commonly) phonology and the number of phonemes.

Word Letters Characteristics Dispute
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutami nylalanyl...isoleucine 189,819 Chemical name of titin, the largest known protein Technical; not in dictionary; disputed whether it is a word
Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosy lglutamyl...serine 1,909 Longest published word[1] Technical
Lopadotemachoselachogaleokraniol eipsano...pterygon 182 Longest word coined by a major author,[2] the longest word ever to appear in literature[3] Coined; not in dictionary; Ancient Greek transliteration
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo lcanoconiosis 45 Longest word in a major dictionary[4] Technical; coined to be the longest word
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocio us 34 Famous for being created for the Mary Poppins film and musical Coined
Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism 30 Longest non-coined word in a major dictionary[5] Technical
Floccinaucinihilipilification 29 Longest unchallenged nontechnical word Coined
Antidisestablishmentarianism 28 Longest non-coined and nontechnical word[6]
Honorificabilitudinitatibus 27 Longest word in Shakespeare's works; longest word in the English language featuring alternating consonants and vowels[7] Latin
Contents [hide]
1 Major dictionaries
2 Creations of long words
2.1 Coinages
2.2 Agglutinative constructions
2.3 Technical terms
3 Notable long words
3.1 Place names
3.2 Personal names
3.3 Words with certain characteristics of notable length
3.3.1 Typed words
4 See also
5 References
6 External links
that guy welbz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Iridocyclitis = Winning
MikeLitoris69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
paraphernalia is a strong word
extravagant is top notch
queef is another good one
Scrooge is a powerful one
equivocation is too strong

init blad tings. obviously it was the swagger don piff ting Mike. Mike Litoris.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (273)
60.94%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.91%