I want to get an A* in History. How should I structure my revision? Watch

botsimon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I am currently studying new spec AQA history (year 13) and will be taking my A2 exams in June. I want to get an A* in History. How should I go about structuring my revision/learning to make sure that I get an A*? What did you do in terms of revision in order to get an A*?

Anyone who is on track to get an A*, or anyone who did get an A* in their history exam, how did you structure your revision/learning? Did you do an awful lot of wider reading to get historians' views and such?

I will be grateful for any responses!
mudhunter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing AQA history too, so far I've just been making notes on the course and learning them.
Next, we've been told to find a couple of contrasting historians for the key questions (e.g. one who says Stalin succeeded in creating a totalitarian state and one who doesn't) and learn their arguments/ some quotes.
After that, I'll do some past papers and write essay plans for the key topics.

Hope this helps (I'm sitting A2 history this year, predicted A*, got A at AS )
botsimon
Rep:
?
(Original post by mudhunter)
I'm doing AQA history too, so far I've just been making notes on the course and learning them.
Next, we've been told to find a couple of contrasting historians for the key questions (e.g. one who says Stalin succeeded in creating a totalitarian state and one who doesn't) and learn their arguments/ some quotes.
After that, I'll do some past papers and write essay plans for the key topics.

Hope this helps (I'm sitting A2 history this year, predicted A*, got A at AS )
So you just made notes on each of the chapters and made sure that you knew them well, and then found some historians' views on key areas and became familiar with quotes/ideas?
Puffin Boffin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would work on your essay technique since style and technique is what the majority of marks are awarded for.

Avoid for and against arguments and instead make it discursive with a clear opinion throughout.

A lot of people miss out on the A* because of their coursework, so make sure this is good and keep going to your teacher for suggestions.

In regards to content there are lots of really good books and documentaries which you can look at to bring the content to life and help provide you with more nuanced approaches to the material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mudhunter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by botsimon)
So you just made notes on each of the chapters and made sure that you knew them well, and then found some historians' views on key areas and became familiar with quotes/ideas?
Yeah basically, and then practiced essay technique, after I knew the course content.
botsimon
Rep:
?
(Original post by mudhunter)
Yeah basically, and then practiced essay technique, after I knew the course content.
great thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (188)
61.44%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.92%
No- I want it (84)
27.45%
No- I don't want it (22)