username3081406
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Should I do a ICT degree or a degree in CS?

The reason is ask is 2 point I have heard that KS3 are dumping ICT so will ICT be around in 5 years?

Also I have worked in IT for 14 years for civilian and military environments and need to get a qualification to match my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say CS and here's why... CS grads can do ICT roles, but ICT grads can't always do CS roles. That might sound harsh, but that's from 9 years of mentoring CS/ICT students.

That said, if you're studying part time or only doing it to tick a box, ICT will probably be more straight forward as generally ICT has less techie modules.

What uni's are you looking at?
username3081406
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Well I'm loving teaching IT at the moment from anything CISCO, WIN SVR 2008/EXSI, Ubuntu. So doing the ICT would be a tick in the box and CS would certainly be more challenging. I am currently looking at Stafford ICT as they write off 90 points which is accredited but it's ICT.

What do you recon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a mature student who's working, make it easy on yourself and do ICT. You know yourself your experience is what will matter more for any future jobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (41)
22.28%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (91)
49.46%
I'm unsure (52)
28.26%

Watched Threads