Rubiji
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have applied to both of these Universities and I am unsure on which Uni I should put as my firm.. Pls help
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you like about the modules on offer at Reading University?
What do you not like about the modules on offer at Reading University?
What are your thoughts on the societies available at Reading University?
Is there anything unique to the Reading University course that you're particularly interested in?
What are your thoughts on the area that Reading University is in?
What are your thoughts on the accommodation?
Is this area more or less expensive than Sussex?

What do you like about the modules on offer at Sussex University?
What do you not like about the modules on offer at Sussex University?
What are your thoughts on the societies available at Sussex University?
Is there anything unique to the Sussex University course that you're particularly interested in?
What are your thoughts on the area that Sussex University is in?
What are your thoughts on the accommodation?
Is this area more or less expensive than Reading?

Having compared the Unistats of the Sussex and Reading University, what are your thoughts? Unistats website: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk

Have you looked at The Complete University's guide to each university?
Sussex - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/sussex/
Reading - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/reading/

Try looking into being able to answer all those questions, and have a look at the UniStats and The Complete University's guide about your university/course. From there, pick whatever university appeals to you the most, as your firm.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rubiji)
I have applied to both of these Universities and I am unsure on which Uni I should put as my firm.. Pls help
Hello

It is a big decision to choose a university, but let me do my best to help you (although I will be slightly biased as I am currently loving my time here at Reading!)

Firstly, you should always pick the university that you feel comfortable with. Have you been to an open day or applicant day at either of these universities? If you haven't it may be worth visiting each university and doing a self-guided campus tour to see if you like the campus and could envisage yourself studying here.

One of the main reasons I love Reading is that everything I need is on the campus - a 24 hour library, small supermarket, excellent students union, hairdressers and lots of cafes and restaurants (including a Starbucks!) Our campus is 130 hectares and has won the same Green Flag award as Hyde Park! It means you always bump into friends on campus, e.g. in the library or walking to lectures! With 18,000 students from many different countries we are highly diverse so you met students from all over the world.

One of the main selling points of the Business courses here at Reading is the Henley Business School. I have had lectures in there and the lecture halls are very modern and spacious, you even have your own small library (the academic resource centre). The ICMA centre is next to the Henley Business School, with three dealing rooms - Reading is on the only UK university that provides such large scale dealing rooms. You have a great flexibility with your degree course too, in your final year you have no compulsory modules so you can choose all of your optional modules. That means you can choose all of the modules that you are interested in, this is something that not all universities offer. You also have the option to study in the University of Malaysia for a term of for a year - giving you the option to study and experience our campus in Malaysia!

We also have great accommodation, mostly on campus or if not just a short distance off campus but still in a great student community. Lots of people tend to live off campus in 2nd and 3rd year and there is plenty of houses to choose from in very close proximity and lots of estate agents (even one on campus!)
Our students union is really good, it is a student nightclub on Wednesdays and Saturdays, transforms into a fruit and vegetable market on Thursdays and has lots of different fairs throughout the year such as languages, budgeting and careers. We have over 150 sports clubs and societies- anything from Quidditch, to Food and Nutrition to ballroom dancing - a great way to learn new skills and meet new people The Sportspark (campus gym), is just on the edge of campus and provides excellent facilities and classes - close to the sports pitches too.

We have an excellent careers centre, that put on events throughout the year such as careers fairs. They have amazing links with local and global employers helping with internships, placements and graduate jobs. The run the RED award (the university employability award) to give you something extra to put on your CV. They also run sessions on topics such as LinkedIn, CVs, covering letters and interviews and also have a Job Shop where they advertise jobs and you can drop in for someone to check your CV and covering letter without booking an appointment. Some weeks employers will be on campus on a Wednesday afternoon so you can speak to them about employability opportunities face to face.

Hope this all helped you with your decision - and if you have anymore questions or queries please feel free to ask me.

Alice
2nd Year Food Science student
Rubiji
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for your replies this has helped me!
Kexin zong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They got different feelings but both good. If u enjoy the beach and more leisure atmosphere then u can choose Brighton. u can choose Reading if u prefer peaceful study environment cuz it’s a town and bit quiet. Ofcourse u also can depends on ur model rating in each uni and choose the better one
Last edited by Kexin zong; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.87%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.35%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (40)
19.23%

Watched Threads