Should people accused of rape be granted anonymity? Watch

Poll: Should people accused of rape be granted anonymity?
Yes; they should be kept anonymous until proven guilty (22)
95.65%
No; they should be named and shamed (1)
4.35%
Squamber
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in the process of completing my research for my EPQ project, and my area of focus is to do with the anonymity of those involved in trials of sexual abuse. Currently, only the complainant - the accuser - is granted anonymity, for obvious reasons. But do you think that the defendant - the accused - should be granted the same?

Take into account false allegations of rape, herd mentality, and also other victims being able to come forward if the name of someone is brought to public attention.

Thank you
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They should remain anonymous. Else you're going to have trial by media and some poor chap forever believed to be guilty, even if he's found innocent. Meanwhile, the person who made up this allegation, walks away and nothing is done to them.
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Once someone is labeled as a "rapist", even if wrongly accused, the stigma attached to it will remain. I think that unless the accused is proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt/is convicted, their name should not be released. Even on this I'm a bit iffy though. What if the defendant is convicted but the rape allegations are proven false? I'm not a law student darnit...
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Squamber)
I am in the process of completing my research for my EPQ project, and my area of focus is to do with the anonymity of those involved in trials of sexual abuse. currently, only the complainant - the accuser - is granted anonymity, for obvious reasons. But do you think that the defendant - the accused - should be granted the same?

Take into account false allegations of rape, herd mentality, and also other victims being able to come forward if the name of someone is brought to public attention.

Thank you
Yes, everyone involved in the trial should have to sign something like a non-disclosure agreement, being accused of rape can ruin someones life and in some cases lead to them committing suicide.

The idea of innocent until proven guilty goes straight out the window in any public case and the accused is always painted as being this evil monster that must have done it.
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's the principle of innocent until proven guilty. If after a trial the evidence strongly supports that they are guilty to an extent sufficient to get a conviction then by all means name and shame them.

However until someone is proven Guilty they should get anonominity.

Such allegations will ruin someone's lfe in most cases whether innocent or not. If someone is accused of this they will likely lose most if not all of their friends their job and likely be abondened by most if not all of their family. You cannot turn the clock back on that, even when proven innocent the relationships will never be the same the job likely won't. Be available and even if it is can you really go back there?

By not allowing anonominity you are givingn then some form of senetence without trial that can never be revoked. I say some sort as it's obviously not as bad as going down as well as having your name permently tarnished.
blue n white army
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely. Once accused there is no going back. It's the whole innocent until proven guilty thing. Once someone has been named they are treated as though they are guilty for the rest of their lives.
Gearless
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All I know is that, there needs to be a certain level of integrity when it comes to releasing the accused person's name for all to see.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course they should have anonymity, and it should be the same for every crime.

The accused's reputation is tarnished as soon as their name is released. They are forever a rapist, even if completely innocent.

The excuse I always hear for releasing identities is that it helps other people come forward. But is it worth potentially destroying people's lives and reputations for the remote possibility of encouraging other victims to file a report? If you were a victim of a crime, or were a witness, it was your responsibility to report it. Plus the cases would be separate and have no bearing on each other in court anyway, so it's not like it helps the other alleged victims in that regard.

Releasing names can also result in an open season for more allegations that may be unsubstantiated. It's best that the business between the accuser and the accused remain between them and the court until found guilty.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
as long as there are people like this around it is only right for anonymity to be given to the accused:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-decade.html
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes there should be anonymity. Pretty much being put on a rape trial is like getting branded on your forehead before punishment so it stays with people still viewing you as that.

(Original post by the bear)
as long as there are people like this around it is only right for anonymity to be given to the accused:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-decade.html
Wtf that lard is forming a life jacket around her neck. Anyway on a serious note absolute scum that, should get more than 16 months because she wasted a lot in money on these legal cases and screwed up several lives.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Report 2 years ago
Also, considering the fact that some people lack the capability to understand the basic concept of consent, it's probably for the best...

Spoiler:
Show

Either watch the whole thing or go to 4:17 to see what I mean.

Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep: once you call someone a 'rapist', that sticks, whether they've done it or not.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
Also, considering the fact that some people lack the capability to understand the basic concept of consent, it's probably for the best...

Spoiler:
Show

Either watch the whole thing or go to 4:17 to see what I mean.

Never seen a video where she fails to destroy a argument from people like that muppet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads