lukemurtagh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am currently doing an MA in History and have secured a place on a PGCE course with Edge Hill. I am thinking of taking my literacy skills test at the end of April and am about to start revising for that now. I completed a practice test and got 60%, so I am nearly at the pass percentage. The one that really bothers me is numeracy. I plan to take that in June to give me plenty of time to revise. I just finished a practice test and got 57% without having done any revision beforehand. Is it likely that I could get that up to the required 63%? I am just getting a bit worried about it.

Thanks.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lukemurtagh)
Hi,

I am currently doing an MA in History and have secured a place on a PGCE course with Edge Hill. I am thinking of taking my literacy skills test at the end of April and am about to start revising for that now. I completed a practice test and got 60%, so I am nearly at the pass percentage. The one that really bothers me is numeracy. I plan to take that in June to give me plenty of time to revise. I just finished a practice test and got 57% without having done any revision beforehand. Is it likely that I could get that up to the required 63%? I am just getting a bit worried about it.

Thanks.
I don't see why not. Do you know whats stopping you from getting at least 63%? Is it the limited time or the lack of knowledge on certain topics? Just keep practicing and work on the topics you struggle with.
lukemurtagh
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
I don't see why not. Do you know whats stopping you from getting at least 63%? Is it the limited time or the lack of knowledge on certain topics? Just keep practicing and work on the topics you struggle with.
A lack of knowledge probably. Just need to improve my knowledge of mean, mode, etc., and brush up my knowledge of percentages and fractions. To be honest, I think I was just panacking a bit.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely. But you need to practice practice practice. For the aural test, record questions onto your computer and then have them read out. You should only need to listen to the question once to give you maximum calculation time. Make sure you write stuff down on paper as it is read out.

Good luck!
lukemurtagh
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Absolutely. But you need to practice practice practice. For the aural test, record questions onto your computer and then have them read out. You should only need to listen to the question once to give you maximum calculation time. Make sure you write stuff down on paper as it is read out.

Good luck!
Thanks. How do the real tests compare to the practice tests? I've heard from different people that they are harder, whilst others have said they are easier, and others still say they are about the same.
astudentagain
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lukemurtagh)
Thanks. How do the real tests compare to the practice tests? I've heard from different people that they are harder, whilst others have said they are easier, and others still say they are about the same.
I'i say they are about the same. I passed the online Maths test once (and I went through the "show me" quite a bit on that test) and didn't pass it again... my test scores lowered every time. However I managed to pass the actual test first time. Despite that, my recommendation would be practice, practice, practice and go through all of the information they provide on the site as I found the numeracy glossary type paper the night before my test...it explained everything well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads