The whole top up fees issue - when? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Sorry, I know this has probably been cleared up before.. but I missed it and can't find it in a search. Can someone actually clarify for me..

I'll be going into the Upper Sixth in September.. Uni entry in 2005. As I understand it, I can take a gap year and enter Uni in 2006 without paying the top up fees.

So my question is; does this require me to apply deferred in 2005? Or can I apply post A-Level and still not have to pay the top up fees? Cause it strikes me that if I have to apply deferred not to pay top up fees, I (and my year) am fairly disadvantaged still..
worried_mess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
Sorry, I know this has probably been cleared up before.. but I missed it and can't find it in a search. Can someone actually clarify for me..

I'll be going into the Upper Sixth in September.. Uni entry in 2005. As I understand it, I can take a gap year and enter Uni in 2006 without paying the top up fees.

So my question is; does this require me to apply deferred in 2005? Or can I apply post A-Level and still not have to pay the top up fees? Cause it strikes me that if I have to apply deferred not to pay top up fees, I (and my year) am fairly disadvantaged still..

To avoid the top up fees you have to defer your entry on the 2005 entry form.
How are you disadvantaged this way?
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Because getting into Oxford to read History is hard enough without having to defer.. which is what I really want to do.
dave134
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
Because getting into Oxford to read History is hard enough without having to defer.. which is what I really want to do.
If they wrote the bill to ensure that people could apply without deferring, and be exempted from the fees, then where would the cut off be. It would be an administrative nightmare, if people could apply as a mature student, and because of when they went to school, be exempted from the fees. By determining the trasnsition to be the year of application, it makes it feasible to implement.

You should be thankful the amendment passed, as otherwise almost nobody in your year would consider deferring, or applying after results. The resultant pressure on places would be immense.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
I totally see your point. I was just hoping, more than anything.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30.23%
No - I got the required grades (147)
56.98%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.79%

Watched Threads