Sudden chest pain but unknown cause Watch

TheAnxiousSloth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The other day, I suddenly started experiencing a very tight and heavy feeling in the centre of my chest which I first assumed to be an anxiety attack. I tried doing some breathing exercises and the tight feeling still persisted even when I was in a calm state of mind and my breathing was under control.
Throughout the night, my chest started feeling progressively more tight and heavy and I became short of breath despite being able to breath properly.
I called an ambulance and also visited my GP the next day but they couldn't find anything wrong with my oxygen levels, blood sugar levels, blood pressure etc.

My GP told me it was probably due to anxiety but the chest tightness remained for about two days and nothing I did relieved the feeling. I've never experienced chest pain before, even when I've felt incredibly anxious so I'm not sure if the two are related. My lungs felt like I had been running for a long time but my GP said they were perfectly healthy.

Has anyone else experienced this before/ know what it could have been?
Nefarious
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LeCroissant)
The other day, I suddenly started experiencing a very tight and heavy feeling in the centre of my chest which I first assumed to be an anxiety attack. I tried doing some breathing exercises and the tight feeling still persisted even when I was in a calm state of mind and my breathing was under control.
Throughout the night, my chest started feeling progressively more tight and heavy and I became short of breath despite being able to breath properly.
I called an ambulance and also visited my GP the next day but they couldn't find anything wrong with my oxygen levels, blood sugar levels, blood pressure etc.

My GP told me it was probably due to anxiety but the chest tightness remained for about two days and nothing I did relieved the feeling. I've never experienced chest pain before, even when I've felt incredibly anxious so I'm not sure if the two are related. My lungs felt like I had been running for a long time but my GP said they were perfectly healthy.

Has anyone else experienced this before/ know what it could have been?
Although of course chest pain is something that should always be taken seriously this does sound like classic anxiety.

If it was long lasting pain or chest tightness that lasted several days but has now gone away it is very unlikely to have been any significant problem with either your heart or lungs; those would have shown up on a blood test, plus it's not the kind of thing that just gets better.

The other alternative is that you were experiencing some sort of muscular-skeletal pain.

Don't be afraid to seek urgent medical attention if you experience chest pain symptoms in the future, however, please don't dismiss the possibility that this could be anxiety linked. That doesn't make your experience any less real or less distressing and you shouldn't feel any sort of stigma attached to suffering from anxiety related symptoms. If going forward anxiety starts causing you to regularly seek assistance from overstretched emergency medical services that can't actually help you then there is a problem. If it turns out you do have anxiety issues seek help from your GP before you start having serious symptoms, try to develop an understanding of your triggers and how to avoid them.

Good luck with everything, hope you're feeling better now.
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok first. no one can or should try to say whats up with you. a few guesses your reasonably young. your normally fit. no history of heart related problems.
if yes to the above and an ecg and bloods showed nothing. and the pain has not returned either at rest or exercise then your pretty safe to assume its not cardiac related but its always possible but unlikely. ive had muscular and gastric pain and it can mimic cardiac pain. i have unstable angina and some of the other causes mimic a heart attack better. if it returns and you believe its your heart. call the ambulance. but treat any anxiety. stay fit stay a normal weight dont smoke. check your bp every few years. and breath a great big breath and say yay. your ok. SERIOUSLY be happy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads