The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Reply 61

Yep. That music sounds so stupid, lol.
Reply 62
i remember drinking milk at breaktime, we used to pour it down the drain. also remember BBC computers! the height of technology. actually only recently got rid of wet breaks, had them at secondary school too. primary school was so good :smile:
Reply 63
amazingtrade
It just seems so wrong though, I don't see why they don't teach both. I feel guilty for not knowing the exact distance of Reading and Slough. I maybe over the top though, for example knowing Manchester to Paris is 375 miles away, or Manchester to Barcelona is 950, Manchester to London 208 (via M6), 200 via A roads.

I guess the fudemtal difference of modern education is it makes you think more, in the old days they seemd to just quote facts at you.

who cares where places are? how does that develop your intelligence?

if you need to go to them, you get a map

there's better things to learn than hard facts about locations of places, such as how to actually use that information
I used to colour in the carpet, and once got caught - I had to stand outside in the wintry cold for almost an hour. They had no sympathy for you after you progressed from year 3. :redface: :frown:
Reply 65
I remember in Year 9 when we had a massive water fight in the playground at lunchtime and I got sent home cos my shirt went see through!
marabara
who cares where places are? how does that develop your intelligence?

if you need to go to them, you get a map

there's better things to learn than hard facts about locations of places, such as how to actually use that information

Yeah, but how difficult is it to learn the rough locations of London, Bristol... Scotland?!

WOW that ITV schools programme takes me back :biggrin: Has anyone seen Look Around You? Great spoof series...
Did anyone else sing the alternative version of "Once in Royal Davids City" or whatever it's called?
Or "The animals came in two by two, hoorah, hoorah, the animals came in two by two, hoorah, hoorah..."
Or even "who built the arc? Noah! Noah! Who built the arc? Noah! Noah! Brother Noah built the arc"? :biggrin:

Oooo, I've just remembered this one:
"I'm a spring chicken! I'm yellow and small, my feathers are fluffy and they're keeping me warm! My legs are not long, so I'll never be tall, but I'm a real spring chicken and I'm having a ball! Having a, having a, having a ball!" :biggrin:
Hehehe... Oh the memories :tongue:
#Joshua fit the battle of Jericho...#

I looked that up the other day and it actually said 'fit'. I'd always assumed it was a short way of saying 'fought'... :confused:
Reply 69
Not much from Primary, as we moved around a fair bit.

From secondary school: being told I would amount to nothing, that I clearly wasn't academic and that I should concentrate my efforts on something vocational.

The bitch is still a Mrs, while I am now a Dr!

Don't let shite teachers ruin your life!
Songs in primary school..... we sang loads of hymns but also lots of random stuff
"I'm a dung beetle (boocha boocha boo)
But let me tell you people (boocha boocha boo)
There ain't nothing wrong with digging dung
When you're a dung beetle......"

"I like to swim and fish and model railways
Or going out at night to hunt a ghost
but more than all these things I'm fond of eating
And christmas is the time i eat the most

I like to eat...."

"Always alone and always avoided, nobody loves a lonely jaguar
I have a long and beautiful body but nobody loves a lonely jaguar
Out in the moonlight of tropical midnight........." (can't remember the rest but that prompted me to develop an interest in jaguars- I always like the underdogs and don't like anything not being loved :smile:)

There were loads more....we also did an operetta about a rooster! Can't remember any of the songs, although i know one was called "there's a thief in the night"

x
Do you think there's a website somewhere with all the lyrics to primary school songs on it? Hmmmmm...
Reply 72
I used to watch Ghostwriter-that was a classic. Also, who could forget the pen with the red light-flick! I used to watch "Where on earth is armen San Diego" as well, which was brilliant and trook you to all different locations, while the kids chased Carmen.
Reply 73
Fleff
Did anyone else sing the alternative version of "Once in Royal Davids City" or whatever it's called?
Or "The animals came in two by two, hoorah, hoorah, the animals came in two by two, hoorah, hoorah..."
Or even "who built the arc? Noah! Noah! Who built the arc? Noah! Noah! Brother Noah built the arc"? :biggrin:

Oooo, I've just remembered this one:
"I'm a spring chicken! I'm yellow and small, my feathers are fluffy and they're keeping me warm! My legs are not long, so I'll never be tall, but I'm a real spring chicken and I'm having a ball! Having a, having a, having a ball!" :biggrin:
Hehehe... Oh the memories :tongue:

There was a really weird song from one of our school plays-Toad in Toad Hall. It went:
Through the windy spaces, poop, poop, poop
Neath a blaze of sun,
While they're sleeping, Toad crept into the hall
So, poopity, poopity, poopity, poopity, poop. Poop, poop!
Poop, poop, poop, poop, poop, poop...

Also, we used to have art lessons with a really cool teacher in her caravan :smile: Those were really fun.
And for our english lessons, we had a really cool teacher. She gave us quite a few spelling tests (Out of 20 or 40), and some vocabulary tests. But how the teacher was different was that she brought a whole bunch of sweets, with the biggest being a packet of laces, and then chewits etc. Whoever got the highest mark got to choose first, which sweet they wanted, and everyone ended up getting a sweet at the end. I used to like spelling tests, and was pretty good at them, so I loved this, especially when you come first and get the laces. :smile: Oh, she also put these funky stamps next to your mark in your spelling books, with say a dog holding a light bulb, saying excellent or something.

Boy, those were the days!
I remember the rare times (once ayear) were we get chocolate milk instead of plain. It was amazing, the best thing that could happen.
Reply 75
Daibhidh
I remember the rare times (once ayear) were we get chocolate milk instead of plain. It was amazing, the best thing that could happen.

hehe. i always remember the lemon curd/strawberry jam shortcake pudding we used to get...i always got it with custard as well...the dinner ladies knew me as the shortcake custard girl hehe
Reply 76
Ok if you have no geography skills at all and you're driving some where you may not realise anything is wrong. If you know where places were you would be able to think the peninses should be straight ahead of me but they are behind me so I must be heading in the wrong direction for example.

If I was ever stranded like got lost in the middle of Liverpool and had no money I could use my geographical skills to walk back home. It will take me hours but at least I iwll get home.
Reply 77
When I was in Year 2 we watched a TV show called "Boy from Space" or something. It gave loads of kids nightmares, so we had to stop watching it. We saw it again in Year 4 when we were big and brave.
Xenon
There was a really weird song from one of our school plays-Toad in Toad Hall. It went:
Through the windy spaces, poop, poop, poop
Neath a blaze of sun,
While they're sleeping, Toad crept into the hall
So, poopity, poopity, poopity, poopity, poop. Poop, poop!
Poop, poop, poop, poop, poop, poop...

Also, we used to have art lessons with a really cool teacher in her caravan :smile: Those were really fun.
And for our english lessons, we had a really cool teacher. She gave us quite a few spelling tests (Out of 20 or 40), and some vocabulary tests. But how the teacher was different was that she brought a whole bunch of sweets, with the biggest being a packet of laces, and then chewits etc. Whoever got the highest mark got to choose first, which sweet they wanted, and everyone ended up getting a sweet at the end. I used to like spelling tests, and was pretty good at them, so I loved this, especially when you come first and get the laces. :smile: Oh, she also put these funky stamps next to your mark in your spelling books, with say a dog holding a light bulb, saying excellent or something.

Boy, those were the days!

You had different teachers for each lesson? We had the same one for a year... Mine were: Mrs Lomas, Mrs Cousins, Mrs Milne (evil woman!), Mrs Pierce, then Mrs Cooper when Mrs Pierce left half way through the year, Miss Maslin (who recently got married, I have been told) and then Mrs Cousins again for year 6... There used to be this teacher who played the piano in assemblys, and for some reason we could always hear him saying "shhht" like "sshhh" with a t on the end... or like "sh*t" with no 'i' :tongue:

We always sang rude words in time to Noah's arc in assemblys too... "the elephants laughed at the monkeys tricks". Guess which word we replaced :rolleyes: :biggrin: Ahhh, those were the days... :tongue:
Reply 79
I remember the wet lunches, and having to sit in the hall watching videos...yep i remeber the dragons eye well, i watched it recently and it just looks sooo fake now, i dont know why i didnt realise it then!

and sharpening hundreds of pencils for the class, and having a book corner...
I really wouldnt mind goin back there now!!

Latest

Trending

Trending