Tea2345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! I'm in year 12 looking to apply to medicine in October for 2018 entry and I'm a little confused about the minimum amount of work experience needed.

Some websites say most med school applicants have between 4 and 6 weeks, but then other sites say its not about the volume its the quality.

I've done 6 days total in 2 hospitals and 5 days total in 2 GP surgeries, so just over 2 weeks of shadowing work experience. I've also volunteered in a hospice since the beginning of February so by the time I apply I will have done 8 1/2 months- I spend 4/5 hours a week there.

Is this enough?! I can't really fit in anymore shadowing placements and I've learnt so much from what I've already seen- do I need to bother arranging any more?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the ramble haha
Zorgontron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could join an organisation like Red Cross or St John Ambulance and learn first aid and start treating patients with basic injuries, this is great experience and a life skill you should know before attending university.

You could also sign up for 12 hour observation shifts with your local ambulance service to get an idea of methods of injury and emergency medicine, although these can be hard to get onto in some areas.
asiangcse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tea2345)
Hi! I'm in year 12 looking to apply to medicine in October for 2018 entry and I'm a little confused about the minimum amount of work experience needed.

Some websites say most med school applicants have between 4 and 6 weeks, but then other sites say its not about the volume its the quality.

I've done 6 days total in 2 hospitals and 5 days total in 2 GP surgeries, so just over 2 weeks of shadowing work experience. I've also volunteered in a hospice since the beginning of February so by the time I apply I will have done 8 1/2 months- I spend 4/5 hours a week there.

Is this enough?! I can't really fit in anymore shadowing placements and I've learnt so much from what I've already seen- do I need to bother arranging any more?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the ramble haha
There isn't any minimum amount of work experience needed, yet saying that, some medical schools like keele do look quite a lot into the amount and type of work experience you do, but I didn't apply there so I can't really say much about it without misguiding you.
From what you've described it looks like you've done quite a lot, but don't be fooled by thinking as long as you've got lots of work expeirence then you'll be sorted. The whole point of work experience is gaining an insight into working in a caring environment or hospital setting and seeing if this is something you want to do. So the quality of reflection from your time volunteering is the most important thing. If you haven't already, try making a diary or keep a notebook where you jot down things which caught your eye, particular cases, things you learnt or just found interesting. Make sure you can speak about it during an interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads