Possibly paid incorrect wage? Watch

Statoke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically, I started at my company April 4th as an apprentice but since they were trying to get more apprentices in, they said they'd wait until they got some more guys in before officially starting the apprenticeship. So on May 23rd, I actually started my apprenticeship for real.

Now for that almost two months, I was being paid as an apprentice but wasn't actually doing my apprenticeship if that makes sense.

So I was wondering, since I hadn't started the apprenticeship officially, should I have been paid a normal wage? And if so, could I get that money back or is it not worth it?
Sternumator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can try talking to them about it but they will probably say that you were an apprentice and the work you were doing is part of your development.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The best thing would be to talk to your employers, but I would think it would be classed as an early start to your apprenticeship, rather than you doing the work of a normal worker and earning a normal wage.
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Statoke)
Basically, I started at my company April 4th as an apprentice but since they were trying to get more apprentices in, they said they'd wait until they got some more guys in before officially starting the apprenticeship. So on May 23rd, I actually started my apprenticeship for real.

Now for that almost two months, I was being paid as an apprentice but wasn't actually doing my apprenticeship if that makes sense.

So I was wondering, since I hadn't started the apprenticeship officially, should I have been paid a normal wage? And if so, could I get that money back or is it not worth it?
If your contract stated that you begin working on (set day) at (wage) then regardless of wether or not you were actually doing things for your apprenticeship, then no you wouldn't be able to say that they should've paid you the higher wage. It happened with me because they had trouble arranging my time to go to the college as part of my apprenticeship. You're still doing your apprenticeship, they've just not given you the other parts of your apprenticeship - which is completely fine.
If your contract stated that you begin working on (set day) at (wage) and you started work earlier than that date, then it would perhaps be different, and worth talking to your employer about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
16.35%
The paper was reasonable (191)
51.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
21.45%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads