I am perpetually out of energy. Watch

username3011076
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there, how do I keep myself alive and focused? (I'm already using caffeine)

EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wienerwald)
Hi there, how do I keep myself alive and focused? (I'm already using caffeine)
How long is it you spend revising? Consider breaking it down into smaller chunks of time, spread throughout the day. I've sometimes found that going for a quick 30 minute nap, then having a drink and snack, then beginning studying helped me a lot. Consider your studying techniques, if you're feeling drained by it, then it's probably not going to be very effective. Here's a website that offers lots of different studying techniques as well as explanations of each studying style - http://learning-styles-online.com/overview/

How about trying the Pomodoro Technique?:
"The process is simple. For every project throughout the day, you budget your time into short increments and take breaks periodically. You work for 25 minutes, then take break for five minutes.
After four “pomodoros” have passed, (100 minutes of work time with 15 minutes of break time) you then take a 15-20 minute break." - http://www.lifehack.org/articles/pro...t-for-you.html

Consider finding other ways to make it more fun - Have you tried teaching a family member, pet, or object in your room different things? It can be pretty fun to make some powerpoint presentations, and if you're working with a human, encourage them to ask questions - you'll develop your understanding through having to explain and simplify it.
username3011076
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by EmmaCx)
How long is it you spend revising? Consider breaking it down into smaller chunks of time, spread throughout the day. I've sometimes found that going for a quick 30 minute nap, then having a drink and snack, then beginning studying helped me a lot. Consider your studying techniques, if you're feeling drained by it, then it's probably not going to be very effective. Here's a website that offers lots of different studying techniques as well as explanations of each studying style - http://learning-styles-online.com/overview/

How about trying the Pomodoro Technique?:
"The process is simple. For every project throughout the day, you budget your time into short increments and take breaks periodically. You work for 25 minutes, then take break for five minutes.
After four “pomodoros” have passed, (100 minutes of work time with 15 minutes of break time) you then take a 15-20 minute break." - http://www.lifehack.org/articles/pro...t-for-you.html

Consider finding other ways to make it more fun - Have you tried teaching a family member, pet, or object in your room different things? It can be pretty fun to make some powerpoint presentations, and if you're working with a human, encourage them to ask questions - you'll develop your understanding through having to explain and simplify it.
I spend most of my day revising. For every hour of studying I take a 15 minute break. Will definitely try the Pomodoro Technique, thanks for the tip. Though I believe the main problem is my unusual brain activity pattern. More precisely, at 7 pm my brain turns off for about 30 minutes. Then, I stay up until about 2 am because I am unable to sleep. Of course, I spend these hours studying. Then, despite getting circa 5 hours of sleep every night, I am perfectly fine in the morning and throughout the day (usually with the help of some caffeine).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (89)
58.94%
Yes- I don't like it (8)
5.3%
No- I want it (45)
29.8%
No- I don't want it (9)