The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry help!

Just got a 6 mark question to do for homework and I'm really struggling with it... I know I need to use sulphuric acid but need some help on the rest!

"A student was given a powdered mixture of magnesium carbonate and barium carbonate. Describe and explain with the use of equations, how the student could obtain a pure, dry sample of anhydrous magnesium sulphate from this mixture"

Any ideas step by step?
Not going to give you the answer step by step, but you're correct in thinking that you need to add sulfuric acid.

What do you get when you react metals carbonates with acids?

One of the products is insoluble in water, the other is not. What technique could you use to separate them?
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
Not going to give you the answer step by step, but you're correct in thinking that you need to add sulfuric acid.

What do you get when you react metals carbonates with acids?

One of the products is insoluble in water, the other is not. What technique could you use to separate them?

You get a metal salt, CO2 and H2I I believe, you could just filter off the insoluble one which will be the barium carbonate, leaving the magnesium carbonate to evaporate/heat the water off to get the anhydrous solid.

It's 6 marks so I'm guessing each step needs an equation too...
Original post by Ballet481
You get a metal salt, CO2 and H2I I believe, you could just filter off the insoluble one which will be the barium carbonate, leaving the magnesium carbonate to evaporate/heat the water off to get the anhydrous solid.

I think you mean H2O and Barium Sulfate as the insoluble product.

Trying to get MgSO4, not MgCO3
Reply 5
Original post by Claudious
I think you mean H2O and Barium Sulfate as the insoluble product.

That's what I said :smile: trying to get the magnesium sulphate overall though.. pretty sure I've written a coherent answer just trying t figure out how to get 6 marks!
Reply 6
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Trying to get MgSO4, not MgCO3

Sorry, typo haha!
Reply 7
That's what I said :smile: trying to get the magnesium sulphate overall though.. pretty sure I've written a coherent answer just trying t figure out how to get 6 marks!

Oops realised I said carbonate not sulphate! My bad :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest