annonomus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello. I'm in year 11 and I'm about to embark upon study leave. I'm predicted to achieve the best results in my run down comprehensive school in north london however I don't know how to revise. The vast majority of times i plan on beginning revision I procrastinate and end up doing nothing. My parents and disturbingly strict and have unnaturally high expectations of me and i have a pending offer from Highgate sixth form and if i achieve straight as i will be able to go there. I'm desperate for high grades however i have no idea how to revise. If you have any bright ideas i will be extremely grateful if you if you could be them in the comment section please. Thank you for reading and please help.
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, what kind of learner are you: visual, auditory, kinesthetic, or reading/writing?

Visual learners prefer to see information and visualise the relationships between ideas. If you are a visual learner, use diagrams and charts, make your notes highly eye-catching, and show relationships between various points. Use a variety of different colours for different concepts or categories, review material to reinforce learning, and make mind maps. Rewrite/draw from memory and make and use flashcards.

Auditory learners prefer to hear information rather than reading or seeing it displayed visually. If you are an auditory learner, recite information aloud to remember it and perhaps record this and replay it over and over again. Explain ideas to other people, get into study groups and talk things out, and work out problems aloud.

Kinesthetic learners learn best by doing. Write down your notes over and over again, make flashcards, use mnemonics, assemble charts and diagrams, and type notes if you are an kinesthetic learner.

Reading/writing learners learn best when interacting with text than hearing or seeing images. If you are a reading/writing learner, test yourself by writing your own quiz which gives you a chance to write what you just learnt and annotate your notes. Make notes and write them over again, use bullet point lists, and turn diagrams and charts into words.
IgorSun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,

From my point of view, if you want to get the best result you need to have a good preparation.
I mean, to sort the information that you need, memorize it and then do fast recall from time to time (without a notes, just in memory).
I use memory techniques and it looks like walking in your memory.

For example, you can create a mind map(key notes that you need) on the topic and memorize it. After memorization you will not need any notes anymore, information will be in your mind and you will have instant access to it.
If you are not familiar with memory techniques, I recommend you to start with Chain method and Loki method
If you are interested in how to make them work effective and memorize information, let me know and I will give you some information about how to use them.
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My exams are also coming up soon and I have decided to revise the content I struggle on the most and then go over the content I know before the exam. It's best to look at your weaknesses and strengths and think how could you improve them. Past papers are key, it is no good if you revise and then not understand your content, practice makes perfect.
IgorSun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rhythmical)
My exams are also coming up soon and I have decided to revise the content I struggle on the most and then go over the content I know before the exam. It's best to look at your weaknesses and strengths and think how could you improve them. Past papers are key, it is no good if you revise and then not understand your content, practice makes perfect.

I am agree that understanding is the key to memorization and you can't memorize anything for a long period of time without understanding.

How do you memorize?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads