The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

MA in Social Work 2017

Hi! :smile:

I've received my offer to study MA Social Work @ University of Birmingham. There's lots of old threads on this so thought I would start a new one! Anyone else here going to be starting in September?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helloooo, yes i ammm! I'm going to be totally new to birmingham! Where are you from? Alice :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Jesska xD
Hi! :smile:

I've received my offer to study MA Social Work @ University of Birmingham. There's lots of old threads on this so thought I would start a new one! Anyone else here going to be starting in September?

hello, I have been invited for an interview. Did you have an interview or have they
offered you a place without?
Reply 3
Original post by sammykhan5
hello, I have been invited for an interview. Did you have an interview or have they
offered you a place without?

Yes I had an interview in March :smile:
Reply 4
Hi all, congratulations on your offers. I have an interview on 3rd May.
Could you give me any tips? What is the written assessment like? Any surprise questions during the interview or was it mostly the expected 'why do you want to be a SW' 'changes to modern SW' etc?

Thanks for any help! It would be really appreciated.
Original post by Sairy01
Could you give me any tips? What is the written assessment like? Any surprise questions during the interview or was it mostly the expected 'why do you want to be a SW' 'changes to modern SW' etc?

Hello saira , where is your interview?

I have interview at birmingham and it mentions on the course website to familiarise yourself with hcpc guidance for students and perhaps the proficiencies for social workers.

Other than that, they have rules against sharing the interview questions etc and people are not allowed to disclose that information.

Theres a site blog by a "social work tutor" if you google it and he lists potential interview questions but in previous threads here, others have noted anti discriminatory practice, anti opressive practive and reflective thinking and dealing with stress as issues likely to be covered.
Reply 6
Hello saira , where is your interview?

I have interview at birmingham and it mentions on the course website to familiarise yourself with hcpc guidance for students and perhaps the proficiencies for social workers.

Other than that, they have rules against sharing the interview questions etc and people are not allowed to disclose that information.

Theres a site blog by a "social work tutor" if you google it and he lists potential interview questions but in previous threads here, others have noted anti discriminatory practice, anti opressive practive and reflective thinking and dealing with stress as issues likely to be covered.

Thank you for your help,
I'll look up that blog. My interview is with Birmingham.

I was wondering about the written test and how people have found the general day and their experience rather than the actual questions as I imagine they'll be the usual sort of 'why do you...' 'can you give an example where...'

Good luck with your interview!
Reply 7
Original post by Kinzar29
Hii I've applied to University Of Birmingham about 2 weeks ago yet to hear from them! I wanted to ask how long did it take you guys to hear back from them?

Yeah it took just under 2 weeks. I think 12 days. They said 2 weeks but the man said that it wouldn't be that long. Undergraduate might be longer.
Reply 8
Original post by Sairy01

I personally don't think it's fair to discuss the interview in any sort of detail because they also rank the bursary list on interview performance and would be an unfair advantage. I didn't have any guidance and it was my first and only interview. There's a 45 minute presentation, a 1 hour written test, a 15 minute exercise and an interview where you are asked questions about the written exercise and a few general SW questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah it took just under 2 weeks. I think 12 days. They said 2 weeks but the man said that it wouldn't be that long. Undergraduate might be longer.

Hmm cos i have applied for the masters so maybe shouldn't take as long. I hope they get back in touch soon. I just hate the waiting game.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Hmm cos i have applied for the masters so maybe shouldn't take as long. I hope they get back in touch soon. I just hate the waiting game.

Good luck! I got an email with an offer from them a few weeks before my UCAS updated :smile: Hope your interview went well!
Good luck! I got an email with an offer from them a few weeks before my UCAS updated :smile: Hope your interview went well!

Hey jesska! Do you know when UoB will start disclosing bursary information?
Reply 12
Original post by Inspiringyou
Hey jesska! Do you know when UoB will start disclosing bursary information?

They said June that they may know more. In the presentation they advised to plan finance without the bursary as it's all up in the air and last year didn't find out how many places the Uni had been alllcated until August.
They said June that they may know more. In the presentation they advised to plan finance without the bursary as it's all up in the air and last year didn't find out how many places the Uni had been alllcated until August.

Oh dear! Thank you for that. Do you remember how they choose who will receive the bursary? Is it solely based on the interview? Because that was most likely my weakest point 😞
The lady who interviewed me said its based on the written assessment and interview combined.
The lady who interviewed me said its based on the written assessment and interview combined.

When did you apply? How did it go ?
I applied through ucas and they sent me an offer today. My interview was yesterday.
I applied through ucas and they sent me an offer today. My interview was yesterday.

Congrats!
Has anyone made their application for bursary yet?
Has anyone made their application for bursary yet?

Dont we have to wait till we know who has been selected for bursary?
They cannot confirm at this point if there will be bursaries and how many.
She did say last year they had roughly 50 students and 44 bursaries and the decision is based on whether you have a first class degree, your statement ( i suppose worj experience) and performance in written tesr and interview.

Did someone tell you to apply or are you asking us? You can call the nhs bursaries if you want to know more and i think everyone is entitled to a placement travel allowance regardless of whether they are "chosen" for full bursary or not.

Quick Reply

Latest