Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Storthes hall- Huddersfield accommodation

Any views on the accommodation, what is the best room type
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sail999
Any views on the accommodation, what is the best room type and can you choose single sex flats?

Hi @sail999

Storthes Hall is run by DIGS Student, our preferred, recommended and approved accommodation provider. You can find out more here: http://www.hud.ac.uk/uni-life/accommodation/ or contact them directly on TSR through their Rep @Abi - DIGS Student Accommodation

For some student opinion check out our student bloggers views here: http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/myuni/archive/category/accommodation/

We hope this helps :smile:

Sarah - UoH
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
i lived there for two years, its terrible. there are rats that live outside the blocks in the bushes and the hot water always seems to turn off for days until they get it fixed. the tap water is undrinkable because it comes from there own quarry. the quarry itself is not maintained properly so occasionally you have black water, literal sediment and muck coming out of your kitchen and bathroom taps, when reception is told they tell you to boil your water and not worry. the venue looks classy but is rarely used and the staff have been there years and are rude people. the maintenance takes weeks to be done and when they do, they knock on your door at early hours. the price paid for the room is totally not worth it. I'm paying £70 a week and i have a studio apartment in the town centre with bedroom and living room, my own dishwasher and private kitchen and on suite bathroom with furnished everything including TV. they charge £90 a week minimum and you have a small smelly room with nothing in it apart from a chair and a wardrobe and the walls are so thin that you never get any sleep. the onsite shop is a joke, there is nothing of substance in there to do your food shopping. its literally just sweets and chocolate and a small fridge with ready made sandwiches. the nearest shop is a 10 minute car drive away. i was stupid to live there for so long and it was the biggest mistake of my student experience. i sincerely advise anyone to stay away from that place and find somewhere better that is worth the money. Oh by the way, don't listen to there promotions either, you getter better deals the later you book, not earlier like they say. last year i booked in december time to ensure my rent at £5 less a week than the year before, this was a bonus for rebooking with them. little did i know that when july time came they started offering free I watches to people who book that month and free rent for the first month!!! when i confronted them about it they basically told me its tough luck and better luck next year. it is literally just a business to these people and there are about 15 people running the whole site so the customer service is shocking and anyone would be wise to avoid storthes hall. i hope you find somewhere perfect for you're student experience.
Original post by johnnn101
i lived there for two years, its terrible. there are rats that live outside the blocks in the bushes and the hot water always seems to turn off for days until they get it fixed. the tap water is undrinkable because it comes from there own quarry. the quarry itself is not maintained properly so occasionally you have black water, literal sediment and muck coming out of your kitchen and bathroom taps, when reception is told they tell you to boil your water and not worry. the venue looks classy but is rarely used and the staff have been there years and are rude people. the maintenance takes weeks to be done and when they do, they knock on your door at early hours. the price paid for the room is totally not worth it. I'm paying £70 a week and i have a studio apartment in the town centre with bedroom and living room, my own dishwasher and private kitchen and on suite bathroom with furnished everything including TV. they charge £90 a week minimum and you have a small smelly room with nothing in it apart from a chair and a wardrobe and the walls are so thin that you never get any sleep. the onsite shop is a joke, there is nothing of substance in there to do your food shopping. its literally just sweets and chocolate and a small fridge with ready made sandwiches. the nearest shop is a 10 minute car drive away. i was stupid to live there for so long and it was the biggest mistake of my student experience. i sincerely advise anyone to stay away from that place and find somewhere better that is worth the money. Oh by the way, don't listen to there promotions either, you getter better deals the later you book, not earlier like they say. last year i booked in december time to ensure my rent at £5 less a week than the year before, this was a bonus for rebooking with them. little did i know that when july time came they started offering free I watches to people who book that month and free rent for the first month!!! when i confronted them about it they basically told me its tough luck and better luck next year. it is literally just a business to these people and there are about 15 people running the whole site so the customer service is shocking and anyone would be wise to avoid storthes hall. i hope you find somewhere perfect for you're student experience.

Hi @johnnn101

We've let DIGS know about your experience at Storthes Hall, have you contacted them directly about these issues?

Sarah - UoH
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @johnnn101

We've let DIGS know about your experience at Storthes Hall, have you contacted them directly about these issues?

Sarah - UoH

Hi, i have indeed consulted multiple staff members at different occasions about the situation at storthes hall. the common response was an apology and nothing more, the less common response was complete agreement. The maintenance staff there are fed up of the whole ordeal. they told me the I watches that were promoted last year that i spoke of before, nobody actually received them, apparently they miraculously went missing right before distribution. so not only did they unfairly change the booking policies and promotions in order to induce more custom but they did not even follow up on their promotion, effectively conning every paying resident in that place. the place is beautiful from the outside and its a real shame. they have lost hundreds each year in residents since they opened and not even a near 1 million renovation on the venue has made a difference. the problem there is the management and the cut corners approach they pursue. this place is the number one option of the university for first time students and i don't think they realise where they are sending them. its a disgrace and needs some major reform.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by johnnn101
Hi, i have indeed consulted multiple staff members at different occasions about the situation at storthes hall. the common response was an apology and nothing more, the less common response was complete agreement. The maintenance staff there are fed up of the whole ordeal. they told me the I watches that were promoted last year that i spoke of before, nobody actually received them, apparently they miraculously went missing right before distribution. so not only did they unfairly change the booking policies and promotions in order to induce more custom but they did not even follow up on their promotion, effectively conning every paying resident in that place. the place is beautiful from the outside and its a real shame. they have lost hundreds each year in residents since they opened and not even a near 1 million renovation has made a difference. the problem there is the management and the cut corners approach they pursue. this place is the number one option of the university for first time students and i don't think they realise where they are sending them. its a disgrace and needs some major reform.

Hi John,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Just so that you're aware, whilst DIGS (who manage Storthes) are our preferred, recommended and approved accommodation provider, the University doesn't actually manage any accommodation directly.
To ensure the situation is rectified, we have been in touch with DIGS and they have replied with the response below. We hope you find their response useful and we'd really encourage you to get in contact with the DIGS team directly to chat through your concerns.

Best wishes,
Claire, UoH

Hi John, we are sorry to hear that this is how you feel about your experience living at DIGS, however would like to thank you for your feedback as it always helps us ensure that we make improvements and keep our services to a high standard.

We would really appreciate it if you could spare some time to meet with us and discuss this in person, as some of your points are serious matters that we would endeavour to get ironed out sooner rather than later. We also feel it would be helpful for you to hear how improvements are being made regularly at Storthes Hall.

We massively value our customers feedback at any time of the year and we are so disappointed that this is how you feel after living with us for two years.

We really hope you will take this opportunity to come and discuss this further if you can send your contact details to [email protected] we can find a time that suits us best.

Thanks and hopefully chat soon.

The DIGS Team
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi John,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Just so that you're aware, whilst DIGS (who manage Storthes) are our preferred, recommended and approved accommodation provider, the University doesn't actually manage any accommodation directly.
To ensure the situation is rectified, we have been in touch with DIGS and they have replied with the response below. We hope you find their response useful and we'd really encourage you to get in contact with the DIGS team directly to chat through your concerns.

Best wishes,
Claire, UoH

Hi John, we are sorry to hear that this is how you feel about your experience living at DIGS, however would like to thank you for your feedback as it always helps us ensure that we make improvements and keep our services to a high standard.

We would really appreciate it if you could spare some time to meet with us and discuss this in person, as some of your points are serious matters that we would endeavour to get ironed out sooner rather than later. We also feel it would be helpful for you to hear how improvements are being made regularly at Storthes Hall.

We massively value our customers feedback at any time of the year and we are so disappointed that this is how you feel after living with us for two years.

We really hope you will take this opportunity to come and discuss this further if you can send your contact details to [email protected] we can find a time that suits us best.

Thanks and hopefully chat soon.

The DIGS Team

Hi, thanks for your response.
As i am sure you can appreciate, my time is finished with DIGS and therefore i have nothing to benefit by seeing you again and again in person. i fail to see after 2 years of awful service and lack of redress to the issues I've outlined, why suddenly seeing me again in person is going to change anything. it seems you are happy to portray your concern where an audience is present such as here, and nothing more. i must say, serious matters such as these should not and are not "ironed out", it is this lack of appreciation for the importance of customer satisfaction that has caused the residents to be unhappy and decrease in number year by year. I understand you feel it would be helpful for me to hear about the improvements taking place, however, it is completely irrelevant to me now as the damage is already done and i will not be returning. Furthermore i fail to see why i should believe a word you say, DIGS has already shown themselves to be unreliable, unhygienic and in need of new management year after year. if it is not conning your customers by withdrawing inducing promotions it is the sheer lies you tell. a friend of mine saw no redress to his motor bike being stolen because the CCTV was absolutely terrible, all the while DIGS was actively advertising their rooms with CCTV and security as an inducement. we were told that Storthes has private pest management and not to worry about the hundreds of rats that just casually share the footpaths with residents, i can categorically say that nothing was ever done about those rats until after the residents had left to move back with parents, which was clearly no benefit to us that had to deal with it everyday and the rats come back each year because of the rubbish is being so poorly managed. we were told the water from the taps was drinking water, but countless times brown sediment would be found when showering and brushing your teeth on a morning.
i hope you can appreciate that DIGS ruined my student experience and i have no faith at all in some apparent changes being made. if i knew any better i would sew them for negligence and misrepresentation. my advice to anyone reading would be to avoid Storthes at all costs (although you will probably save money) as it really is not worth the risk. i hope in future that DIGS take this and truly make the necessary changes before Storthes is no more. Thank you to the university for bringing this to their attention and sorry for any inconvenience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Rats? Oh sweet jesus. Please sort that out because I literally have a crippling phobia regarding rodents. Definitely not looking forward to moving in now :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by sail999
Any views on the accommodation, what is the best room type

Hi Sail999
Let me know if you are interested in a room in Huddersfield - Aspley House (this room type is now sold out)? I'm looking for a replacement, thanks :smile: detail as follow:

Accommodation details:
Property: Aspley House
Room type: Silver Ensuite Plus
Room size: 14sqm
Rental: £129/wk
Move-in date: ASAP
Move-out date: 7 Jul 2018
Note: newly refurbished

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending