The Student Room Group

Unsure if i should do SWAP course of NC

Im a nearly 34 year old mum of 7. I have been out of education since I was 16, but now want to get back into it and hopefully have a good career. I applied for two SWAP access courses - Primary Ed and Nursing. I attended an interview for Primary Ed and received an offer. I never got an interview for Nursing as the college told me it was full from people who had applied before me. Now my dream has always been to go into nursing, but I do enjoy working with children and teaching to.... just Nursing has always been my dream. I have accepted the SWAP Primary Education course, but im now worried ive made a mistake and should withdraw and apply for the NC Health Care course, then progress to HNC Care and Administration the following year. I worry I might not get on this course and lose a good opportunity to get back into learning. Sorry for the long post.. suppose I just feel apprehensive about returning to education and really want to make sure im making the right decision.
The SWAP courses have limited places and are very much in demand. If you go via NC and HNC be aware that this is funded through SAAS thus the funding for your eventual Uni course may be impacted by this. SWAP is funded seperately and so won't impact upon your future funding.

If nursing is definitely your calling, I would check the funding implications but wouldn't do SWAP Primary Education as it would be a waste of your time. If you have at any time wanted to be a teacher stay on the Primary teaching course- it's tough to get on and even tougher to get into Uni at the other end (Interview process is stressful.)

NC and HNC is going to be full of people of all ages with varying levels of participation. I found with SWAP that as we were all mature students and committed that I was well supported by my peers and the year flew in. Good luck!
Reply 2
Hey

I'm 33 and have two kids and I work part time also but as well as this, Im studying on a SWAP course at my local college.

I would definitely apply for it! Lots of luck and if you've got any questions, please get in touch
Glasgow University also do an access Course to nursing, it comprises of 2 subjects, majority of the fee is covered by the SAAS Partime grant fee.

Quick Reply

Latest