The Student Room Group

Medicine GCSE

I have 1A*, 4A's, 4B's at GCSE, would i have a chance of getting into medicine?
Reply 1
Not until you get your A-Levels and pass the UKCAT :smile:

but yeah, your GCSE's are fine, though they are just the first step
Reply 2
Original post by 12345John12345
I have 1A*, 4A's, 4B's at GCSE, would i have a chance of getting into medicine?

Have you tried looking at the university websites? Some rank GCSEs and some don't.
Reply 3
Original post by 06moca1
Have you tried looking at the university websites? Some rank GCSEs and some don't.

I have but not in great depth, I will now. Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SharkEel
Not until you get your A-Levels and pass the UKCAT :smile:

but yeah, your GCSE's are fine, though they are just the first step

Okay thank you, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics and AS and hoping to drop Economics so i have 3 A Levels
Reply 5
Okay thank you, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics and AS and hoping to drop Economics so i have 3 A Levels

That's a good choice of A-Levels and will definitely make you eligible for entry into any medicine programme as long as you get the grades required. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by SharkEel
That's a good choice of A-Levels and will definitely make you eligible for entry into any medicine programme as long as you get the grades required. Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you!
It is very important to do your research when applying to medicine. Some med schools are very strict about GCSEs (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff), others are not. With those GCSEs, you will need to be careful, but with strong other aspects of your application (UKCAT, BMAT, work experience/voluntary work, personal statement, interviews) you have a reasonable chance.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
It is very important to do your research when applying to medicine. Some med schools are very strict about GCSEs (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff), others are not. With those GCSEs, you will need to be careful, but with strong other aspects of your application (UKCAT, BMAT, work experience/voluntary work, personal statement, interviews) you have a reasonable chance.

Okay thank you! Would you have any suggestions as to what work experience would stand out, and what additional, non-academic things would look good?
Thanks
Reply 9

Okay, could you recommend any work experience, voluntary work, or non-academic things that stand out on a personal statement? Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay, could you recommend any work experience, voluntary work, or non-academic things that stand out on a personal statement? Thanks

You don't need to stand out really. In fact, in most instances someone standing out is not a good thing. You just need to be solid. Without weakness, as opposed to has a couple strengths.

The most common form of voluntary work is working in care homes, sometimes schools. Work experience can be got from hospitals and GPs - sometimes you have to push pretty hard to get it though if you don't have family contacts or a posh school to organise it for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
You don't need to stand out really. In fact, in most instances someone standing out is not a good thing. You just need to be solid. Without weakness, as opposed to has a couple strengths.

The most common form of voluntary work is working in care homes, sometimes schools. Work experience can be got from hospitals and GPs - sometimes you have to push pretty hard to get it though if you don't have family contacts or a posh school to organise it for you.

Thank you so much for your help!
Hi there!

We have a few pages on our website that may be of use:

- GCSE Requirements for Medicine - this lists different GCSE subjects and grades required by each UK medical school
- What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor? - this lists the different A-Level subjects and grades required by each medical school

And we've also got a full section on Medical Work Experience if you're looking!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 13
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

We have a few pages on our website that may be of use:

- GCSE Requirements for Medicine - this lists different GCSE subjects and grades required by each UK medical school
- What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor? - this lists the different A-Level subjects and grades required by each medical school

And we've also got a full section on Medical Work Experience if you're looking!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Thank you so much!! This was so useful

Quick Reply

Latest