Which specialization is the best to work abroad ?

Watch this thread
Hammclove
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I am currently completing a double degree in english law and french law (LLB-Master 1). Then I want to study in a business school in France and get a BA.

I would like to work abroad in the future (Middle east - South east Asia especially but I remain open to other places). However, I do not know which specialization could help me to achieve this aim: M&A, HR manager, compliance officer ... ?

Thank you for your help.
Hammclove
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Hello,

Not really I looking for jobs relating to both "business" and law such as financial compliance, HR management, M&A.

I only speak a bit of arabic. Do you think that I muet speak these languages to work there ?

Thank you for your answer.
Hammclove
Rep:
Ok I'm gonna post in other sections.

By the way, do you know any areas in which it would possible to work abroad at the beginning of my career ?

Thanks again for your answer.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
In the legal sector, it is quite straightforward to work in the Middle East or Asia if you are a private sector lawyer who trained in London / Hong Kong / Singapore, and have experience in cross-border mergers and acquisitions or international arbitration.

In these fields you are generally advising on English law or New York law contracts, even if the contract has absolutely nothing to do with England or the US.

I imagine it is more difficult to move around in an area like HR and employment law, since you cannot choose an international law for HR matters, meaning it is a more localised field.
username2476329
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Only asked where this is in the legal careers section - probably needs moving to the central careers page if that's the case.

No you don't necessarily need the language for places like Dubai or Singapore. But in other places it is far more of a requirement, particularly seen in places like Japan and mainland China.

Unfortunately given that broadness it is more difficult to give you an accurate picture on this. I've known people in all of those areas to move abroad to work in places you have mentioned. But generally they have worked in the U.K. for one company for a fair amount of time and then had an internal secondment to another country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would a lawyer get a higher salary in the UK or Dubai?
username2476329
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Dont know. Suspect you will earn slightly more in the U.K. but will have a higher disposable income in Dubai.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe you are correct. However, in the UK most of your money goes into paying tax. I don't think this is the case in Dubai.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdulrazig)
Would a lawyer get a higher salary in the UK or Dubai?
If you are working for an international firm, salaries tend to be pegged to London (for UK firms) or the US for US firms.

So you get roughly the same salary as you would in the largest office. You'd obviously pay less tax but would probably have higher living expenses too.

If you are working for a local firm, salaries would be determined by local market conditions and would be much lower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (113)
40.79%
They're exactly what I expected (66)
23.83%